New member/ sending out greetings

gball721

Greetings fellas, (and gals)
I'm not an LD, and not an operator (I'm actually a video producer), but found ControlBooth while looking at info about the venerable Super Trouper (yeah, I wikipedia'ed ABBA and Super Trouper, and being a former theatre guy in high school, and technically inclined-- a singer/actor-- but helped w/ hang and focus-- , I came here), and registered as a new member on the site. Just wanted to say hi. I noticed one poster who mentioned a good ol theatre in Buffalo that still uses a carbon arc projector and has a good old Wurlitzer pipe organ for movie accompaniment. I think that's awesome. While newer tech like the xenon medium-arcs, PARnels, and all the rest are nice, it's cool to remember that the human eye sees subtleties between the light of a good old carbon arc Trouper, when compared to the new light of a xenon. Subliminally we must see it, even if concert audiences can't appreciate it. Doesn't necessarily mean either light is better than another, just differnt. Just the same, the good old Wurlitzers were pretty cool in accompanying silent films. Those simpler times had their place, and maybe our grandparents, parents, we, are better for it? I just think the human senses know alot more about the subtleties in the air, and in days gone by, than we might give em credit for. Sorry to go esoteric on this, but this is on my mind. All the best,
Mike in NC

Well, that was quite the philosophical introduction! Welcome to the booth, hope you stick around. Peruse the forums all you like, and jump in and offer answers or advice if you want to/can. Glado to have you on board, hope you stick around!

Welcome to the Booth! We love to have a little philosophical debate now and then around here. Don't be shy, jump in and post! Also be sure to check out the search function and the wiki... there's an amazing amount of information around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back