JVV

Hi All,
I have just taken the job of Technical Director at a private school in NJ. I have worked for the last decade in professional regional theatre and summers at camps and other educational facilities. In addition to those 'full time jobs' I have freelanced set designed at community and small not-for-profit companies as well as high schools and colleges in NY and NJ.

I am currently overseeing the upgrade of the sound and lighting systems, which are two of my weak points. I am sure I will have tons of questions in those areas. I am also revamping the shops and storage areas and trying to 'focus' the tech program so it is more than just a Friday night party. I welcome any suggestions you have on that front.

I guess my most immediate concern right now if putting together the salary packages for our outside designers. Can anyone let me know what they consider to be reasonable rates for lighting, sound, costume designers in highschools. For both musical and 'straight' plays.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to sharing in this community.

JVV

Hey JVV! Welcome! What's your house size, and what's you usual show budget?

Welcome! Any info you can provide us with as far as budget size and scope of work required for each designer, would be helpful in giving you some more accurate information.

Enjoy CB!

~Dave

For the first production we are moving the audience onstage on risers so we will have a house of 125/show for four performances. Our current lighting system has most of the dimmers FOH so we will need to move circuts to the stage to adequately light the show. We are doing this as an upgrade for the year (purchasing more dimmers, multis etc) and paying the LD a separate fee for consulting and implementing this system.

The sound designer will be writing original music for the production and creating a sound scape. I am sure there will be lots of editing and vocal recording involved.

Budget for play will be around $4,000 (plus $5000 for renting risers). $1500 scenic/props, $750 costumes, $1500 lights, $250 sound.

I am thinking $1000 for each design. Musicals I would bump up to $1500. (That budget is $40,000)

Thoughts?
JVV

First welcome to the Booth! Second... I need to leave this small college and go back to working in a high school. Your budget for the musical is more than we have for an entire season here. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back