New Mic Packs and Transmitters

Brenden Friedel

So I was hoping to find a thread but no luck. I am in need of 20 pack and transmitters by Shure that are good quality for a reasonable price. Any ideas?

You really need to talk to a very knowledgeable dealer, because this an expensive purchase with many potential land mines. In order for 20 systems to work without clobbering each other, only certain models will do that. Only the higher end products will work in that quantity. Note that it has little to do with the number of channels the unit will tune. It is conceivable to have a unit tunable to 100 channels, but it'll only work in a room with six systems. The other factor is the TV band repack, so the systems have to be chosen to work on the channels that will be open after the TV stations move around. And you will need antenna distribution. A pair of antennas on every receiver won't work due to IF leakage.

Do you perhaps have a specific price you were looking to spend total, or even per channel?
So right now we have 18 slx and 2 ulx receivers and transmitters that have been abused for the past 12 years we are looking to replace all of them we would love to all at once but the price of that is way too much. realistically we can spend around 2-3k a year on mics and packs. its just a matter of what we can get for our price that will last. (Also 6 of our slx bands are about to be illegal)

Shure and Sennheiser are having a cash back option when you trade in 600 frequency units. I personally prefer the Audio Technica's because I've never had an issue with our rentals (knock on wood) and just purchased 12 units.
We want to stick with shure just because we do not want to have to get new fins. Also where did you see the cash option for mics in the 600

As hinted above, don't buy any analog system that runs above 600 Mhz. 700 Mhz is already illegal and 600 is already being infringed and will be illegal as of 2021.

As hinted above, don't buy any analog system that runs above 600 Mhz. 700 Mhz is already illegal and 600 is already being infringed and will be illegal as of 2021.
yes were trying to replace are 6 transmitters in the 600 range first

I agree with the above recommendation to speak with a dealer who specializes in Theatrical Sound. I have worked with the Shure ULX-D and they are truly excellent, and seem like they would be a natural progression based on having some of the (incompatible) ULX S/P. Crystal clear audio, and they are rechargeable directly from the transmitter, which is a plus.

I agree with the above recommendation to speak with a dealer who specializes in Theatrical Sound. I have worked with the Shure ULX-D and they are truly excellent, and seem like they would be a natural progression based on having some of the (incompatible) ULX S/P. Crystal clear audio, and they are rechargeable directly from the transmitter, which is a plus.
I looked at those and i saw they run over a 2.4 ghz frequency so im nervous about wifi getting invloved

ULX-D does not operate in the 2.4 band. It is as @TimMc described in blocks. It can however tune many more mics per TV channel than the older RF (ala SLX and ULX s/p), enabling you to really search around for good frequencies. Good frequency coordination is essential to good system operation. Getting enough clear frequencies can be difficult, especially in an heavily RF saturated environment, so this feature is definitely a plus The GLX-D is AFAIK the only Shure offering in the 2.4 band (I could be incorrect as they seem to have many, many different systems.).

If by "getting new fins", you mean "replacing my log-periodic combiner antennas", you may need to do that anyway, depending on what freq range they are rated for...

If by "getting new fins", you mean "replacing my log-periodic combiner antennas", you may need to do that anyway, depending on what freq range they are rated for...

Fins. They are rated 470- 698
upload_2017-7-23_14-3-14.png

ULX-D does not operate in the 2.4 band. It is as @TimMc described in blocks. It can however tune many more mics per TV channel than the older RF (ala SLX and ULX s/p), enabling you to really search around for good frequencies. Good frequency coordination is essential to good system operation. Getting enough clear frequencies can be difficult, especially in an heavily RF saturated environment, so this feature is definitely a plus The GLX-D is AFAIK the only Shure offering in the 2.4 band (I could be incorrect as they seem to have many, many different systems.).
You are right I got confused. I checked out the ULX-D and used them before in our environment and they are really good it is just the price

Perhaps consider the QLX-D??. Again, I am not sure about the compatibility with your existing antenna distribution system, but I am sure that Shure, given the fact you are sticking to their products, could provide you with information.

Perhaps consider the QLX-D??. Again, I am not sure about the compatibility with your existing antenna distribution system, but I am sure that Shure, given the fact you are sticking to their products, could provide you with information.
I was actually looking into the BLX series. My antenna distribution system is compatible with most if not all series by shure

RF antenna distribution does not observe brand names, the internals are similar whether it's made by Shure, Sennheiseer, Lectrosonics, etc.
DC power can create issues though, many receivers will make power available on their antenna inputs to power inline amplifiers, and Sennheiser's ew series will provide power from the splitter to power up the receiver over the antenna cable with the ASA-1 splitter.
The photo you've posted is of an active LPDA antenna, is that the particular model you have or just a concept explaining image?

Summary - you may well be able to run mics from a different manufacturer using your current antennas and distribution, depending on specific models.

I fear your budget and your scope are not well aligned, when you want 20 concurrent systems, the BLX end of the product range is going to leave you with disappointing results...

RF antenna distribution does not observe brand names, the internals are similar whether it's made by Shure, Sennheiseer, Lectrosonics, etc.
DC power can create issues though, many receivers will make power available on their antenna inputs to power inline amplifiers, and Sennheiser's ew series will provide power from the splitter to power up the receiver over the antenna cable with the ASA-1 splitter.
The photo you've posted is of an active LPDA antenna, is that the particular model you have or just a concept explaining image?

Summary - you may well be able to run mics from a different manufacturer using your current antennas and distribution, depending on specific models.

I fear your budget and your scope are not well aligned, when you want 20 concurrent systems, the BLX end of the product range is going to leave you with disappointing results...
So the antenna is the same model and everything. I cant see what frequinces it supports but i know mine does 448 to 620mhz and are distributors are shure ua844swb. What do you recommend we get foroure budget I can try to see if i could up it a little more. But we at least need 6 new packs to replace are illegal ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back