New Mics

Shinigami

My High School is looking to buy new body mics. Right now we're using lapel mics that have a problem with signals because our Theater is poorly designed. They just don't cut it for the musicals we've been doing. They clip and loop with our speakers. Any suggestions for new mics?

Just a suggestion first before purchasing new mics. This is from a standpoint if not knowing your theater or mics, but try better placement for the wireless receivers. Try putting them closer to the stage.
We have a couple of Shure lapels and they work great. We just place the receivers off stage right and run them through the snake.

Shinigami said:

My High School is looking to buy new body mics. Right now we're using lapel mics that have a problem with signals because our Theater is poorly designed. They just don't cut it for the musicals we've been doing. They clip and loop with our speakers. Any suggestions for new mics?

Many types of body and theatrical mic's out there..best are by Countryman in my opinion (E6, B3, EMW models)... Shure makes good mics as well (WL50/51 and 93 models) as does Audio Technica(899 model)...

-w

I really like the Sennheisers for quality and reasonable price. The evolution G2 series are nice. I just got a new EW122G2 system last year to replace on of our mics that died...it's awesome.

Can you tell us what models of mics you are currently using, and specifically what problems you are having with them? It would also be very helpful to know how you set them up (where the receivers go, where the transmitter is on the body, how far away are the receivers, is there any radio interference that you know of in the vicinity, etc.) We may be able to give you some ideas on how to get the most out of your units, and save you thousands of dollars in the process.

Wireless mics don't just loop and clip on their own. Speaker placement, atcor blocking, gain, level . . . you name it, there are so many varibles to consider. First off, are you guys using VHF or UHF? How big is your space? Where are your performers wearing their mics? and their packs? How many do you have and how are they freqed? how far is the booth from the stage (assuming you have your recivers in the booth). What are they sitting near? What board are you using? What kind of speakers do you have? are they active or passive? If passive what kind of amps?

I've talked to one of the many adults who help set up the mikes. The recievers are about 70 ft from the stage with no walls in between them. The speakers are poorly placed they are too far upstage. So when people move under the speakers they loop. The mic packs are on the waist of the actors normally in the waist band of what ever they're wearing because none of the packs have clips. The mic itself is slightly to the left or right of their chin. We did have a problem with the actors dancing and rather violent movements that were causing clipping. Our mikes were really made for dancing around with. mbenonis and drumbum I have to get some more info before I can answer all your questions but thank to everyone.

It sounds like you have a center cluster flown above the stage? Is that right? Do you have Left and Right mains as well?

If so, turn the center cluster down, that is where your problems are.

No we only have a center cluster. The entire system is pretty old and neither school or the drama department is about to spring for the money to upgrade.

In that case, save the money for new mics and put it towards a new PA. There isn't a whole lot you will solve by getting new mics, unless your current mics are omni capsules or something?

Save up money to move the cluster forward and get some new cabs to add right and left. Also check on the omni capsules as said above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back