New Products from ETC - March 30th, 2021

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
ETC is announcing new products today. Launch video is here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We'll be updating this thread as the launch happens. Join us for live chat on the Discord Server.

First Product, the ETC Desire Fresnel.
Desire_Fresnel_Right_Red_BarnDoor.jpg

The ETC Series 3 Source 4 is next.

header.jpg

The Series 3 uses the new x8 Lustr LED array which uses the Deep Red LED that debuted in the FOS/4 series. (colors are green, lime, blue, indigo (deep blue), cyan, amber red, and deep red)

Deep_Red_Chart.jpg

The Series 3 also introduces the new ETC XDLT Lenses (from 5° to 70°) that are sharper, brighter, and with better Chromatic Abberation correction to almost eliminate the fringing when using a gobo. Note, the CDLT lenses are exclusively for LED fixtures, they aren't made for the heat of HPLs internally.

XDLT_Lenses.jpg

The Source Four Series 3 has a new shape and a lot of new features.

S3_Details.jpg

Only 10,000 lumens though, so the Lustr engine may not be 'FOH' suitable for those that need 750w equivalent output. You would have to use the HDR engine.

I also have a question. I can see the benefit of the Deep Red for camera or close view scenarios but when 20+ feet away from the stage in most theater applications, can you notice the difference? It seems too subtle to make that much of an impact from a distance.

Has anyone had a demo of the fixture in the scenario and did the added chip make a noticable difference from a distance?

Wait, Wireless DMX built in to the fixture?

Only 10,000 lumens though, so the Lustr engine may not be 'FOH' suitable for those that need 750w equivalent output. You would have to use the HDR engine.
Yes and no. For instance, if you are throwing R62 with a Series 3 Lustr, you are going to be much brighter than an S4 with a 750w HPL. Open white? No. Any non-amber color? Yeah.

Wait, Wireless DMX built in to the fixture?
Yes, it has a City Theatrical Multiverse radio built into the Series 3 and the Desire Fresnel. Very cool stuff. And configuration is amazingly easy since Multiverse supports RDM as well.

Don't forget the NFC chip and their new Set Light App? Oh man, talk about easy. You don't even have to have the fixture powered up to change the config. Your phone's NFC radio powers up the chip, writes the new config, and when the light is powered on, the firmware sees if the NFC chip has a new config and writes the new config first. This is gonna make life a LOT easier for rental houses!

Yes, it has a City Theatrical Multiverse radio built into the Series 3 and the Desire Fresnel. Very cool stuff. And configuration is amazingly easy since Multiverse supports RDM as well.

Don't forget the NFC chip and their new Set Light App? Oh man, talk about easy. You don't even have to have the fixture powered up to change the config. Your phone's NFC radio powers up the chip, writes the new config, and when the light is powered on, the firmware sees if the NFC chip has a new config and writes the new config first. This is gonna make life a LOT easier for rental houses!
I remember seeing something about the NFC app a couple few months ago, I think our D&C guy was talking about it. but I didn't remember the wireless built-in. Great set of features.

An addition with a future, an powered USB port.
One suggested use is powering 3rd party wireless devices, though I'm not sure many use 5V.
What else will creative people do?

While X8 definately one ups X7, take a good look at the spectral chart above. The wild variations in the blue-cyan range will still drive painters and costumers nuts.

An addition with a future, an powered USB port.
One suggested use is powering 3rd party wireless devices, though I'm not sure many use 5V.
What else will creative people do?

While X8 definately one ups X7, take a good look at the spectral chart above. The wild variations in the blue-cyan range will still drive painters and costumers nuts.

It does have a powered USB port (used for firmware updates) What else would you use it for? Maybe a slow gobo rotator?

compared to what led? Seems to me this is as flat as it gets and a big improvement for ETC. would be interested in seeing competing spectral graphs.

Last edited:
It does have a powered USB port (used for firmware updates) What else would you use it for? Maybe a slow gobo rotator?

The focus squints can charge his/her/their phone(s).

I'm getting some nefarious ideas, though. We'll need someone from ETC to talk about security on the USB port...

edit ps: Approximate street prices?

The focus squints can charge his/her/their phone(s).

I'm getting some nefarious ideas, though. We'll need someone from ETC to talk about security on the USB port...

edit ps: Approximate street prices?
First answer is always to check with your local ETC dealer. There are new lenses for this series so your total buy-in will vary.

I'm not in the market to purchase or specify, I'm mostly curious as to how they compare to the prices of older designs.

Lacking the decoder ring or the secret double-knot spy handshake, the answers will remain occult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back