New Products from ETC - March 30th, 2021

Yes, I was thinking of a common module with different radios. It wouldn't mean they have to immediately offer every wireless system on the market, it would allow for flexibility in the future. Like if Multiverse is superseded with Megaverse carrying 64 universes simultaneously, but in a way incompatible with multiverse, and becomes the industry standard. A pluggable module means your fixtures get an update by swapping out the module (and there's an unexpected income stream, too) without having to return to base for a replacement set of guts.

Yes, I was thinking of a common module with different radios. It wouldn't mean they have to immediately offer every wireless system on the market, it would allow for flexibility in the future. Like if Multiverse is superseded with Megaverse carrying 64 universes simultaneously, but in a way incompatible with multiverse, and becomes the industry standard. A pluggable module means your fixtures get an update by swapping out the module (and there's an unexpected income stream, too) without having to return to base for a replacement set of guts.
That's a question for the team at ETC. Can the Multiverse radios have their firmware updated through the USB port on the Series 3 or Desire Fresnel fixtures?

That's a question for the team at ETC. Can the Multiverse radios have their firmware updated through the USB port on the Series 3 or Desire Fresnel fixtures?
Hmmm, if only we knew someone that could answer that question...

I want to make sure everyone knows: I LIKE this fixture I'm sure I'll see it in use and sell some real quick. I'm simply pointing out, in my cynical, pessimistic, crotchety-old-man way that it has more bells and whistles than a moss covered three handled family grandunza and until I see a comparable, affordable replacement to the CSSPOT I would have reservations about this as a flagship.

On a side note: can the wireless radio act as a relay? Could you address the fixtures then daisy chain DMX out of the fixture to a row of 'dumb' LED luminaires?

I want to make sure everyone knows: I LIKE this fixture I'm sure I'll see it in use and sell some real quick. I'm simply pointing out, in my cynical, pessimistic, crotchety-old-man way that it has more bells and whistles than a moss covered three handled family grandunza and until I see a comparable, affordable replacement to the CSSPOT I would have reservations about this as a flagship.

I think the relative cost for including those bells and whistles is negligible -- to that end, Series 3 is actually cheaper than Series 2 has been, and if you're pinching pennies to buy new fixtures, Series 3 isn't aimed at your venue in the first place. Also keep in mind that Series 2 Lustr will be sticking around and getting a cost reduction. So...you'll have:

SWRD4 Color...................$550 (retrofit onto existing body)
Colorsource Spot Jr.......$900
Colorsource Spot............$1950 (w/ EDLT)....wouldn't be shocked if this price comes down a little but haven't heard anything official to that effect.
Series 2 Lustr....................$2700 (w/ EDLT)....don't know where this will sit price wise but I would expect around $2200-2300 w/ EDLT.
Series 3...............................$2600 (w/ XDLT)

Realistically, how many more variations of an LED profile and at what price points do you expect ETC to make?

Hmmm, if only we knew someone that could answer that question...

On a side note: can the wireless radio act as a relay? Could you address the fixtures then daisy chain DMX out of the fixture to a row of 'dumb' LED luminaires?

I heard near $3000 for the Lustr 3. That's going to make folks pause when desiring to do a swap out of incandescent S4's. Not sure the WiFi DMX makes up the cost difference of data backbone required to use Lustr 2's. I do look forward to the day some of the 3 features trickle down to a CS 3 or whatever it'll be called.

Series 2 Lustr....................$2700 (w/ EDLT)....don't know where this will sit price wise but I would expect around $2200-2300 w/ EDLT.
Series 2 Lustr is going to $2200 / $2245 List Price. (without barrel/with barrel) Street price will be closer to $1760-$1800 per unit. Talk to your local dealer for an official quote.

I heard near $3000 for the Lustr 3. That's going to make folks pause when desiring to do a swap out of incandescent S4's. Not sure the WiFi DMX makes up the cost difference of data backbone required to use Lustr 2's. I do look forward to the day some of the 3 features trickle down to a CS 3 or whatever it'll be called.

S4.3 Lustr with a 26° lens won't be more than $2460 + any taxes or shipping. (depending on where you order them from)

OK, So I had a bit of a discussion with some folks on FB last night about one of my major concerns with this fixture. Not to be the dirty bubble in the hot tub but... I really get an "All-in-one Printer, scanner, copier, Fax machine" off of this. Is it too much? Cramming this many systems and this much electronics technology into a very small, very hot space, especially in a lighting fixture that moves around and get's jostled a lot, is it a good idea?
One of my friends said, "Hey ETC is fantastic about their warranties and will always go the extra mile to help you out." to which I can only reply, Sure, as long as the fixture is under warranty and any fault isn't yours. In a school setting, I think we all know, a fixture package is purchased and might get an upgrade in 15-20 years, maybe. While I have no doubt that the LED array will last that long, as long as the heat sink doesn't develop problems or the Array board doesn't develop corrosion issues, will all the bells and whistles continue to function and if one system goes do they all? Granted I haven't seen the inside, yet, but to fit everything there has got to be some major consolidation of circuits onto one board going on.
"back in the day" you had a 360Q it was a workhorse that you could bang around all day; development was reserved for the accessories and supplies. No, I'm not suggesting everyone buy 360Q's and put them on saltwater dimmers but I am a big fan of simple systems. Why have an all in one that cost twice as much which when breaks costs a fixture price to get repaired.

I'll take my answer off the air.

:angryoldman:
Isn't this what the Series II and the Colour Sourse are are for? They give us the choice of bells and whistles and price.

That question was answered in one of the meetings. Currently no, but they might change it.

Several (most?) other brands do this and it's a great feature.

Cant wait to get my hands on some series3.

The nice thing about releasing new products is that older models come down in price. Used Lustr 2's used to be impossible to find (for me, at least); now I'm seeing them around $1400. Still a reach, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back