New Products Unveiled at CUE: ETC GIO, LED S4

an ETC branded back pillow and sofa cushions for thats program on a LoveSeat in the booth?

What a great Idea, my back always hurts after while sitting in this **** swivily chair.

:)

I think what we have here is a classic case of misdirection. They aren't unveiling what's under the sheet, the sheet IS the new product. They're taking on Rose Brand!!!

... or maybe not.

If it even is a console.....
You're right. Maybe it's a windowshade, douser, color changer, etc. :
...at ETC's newest lighting control product,...
OR,
maybe it's the much-anticipated Bend-A-Ray™ (for lighting around corners) or BeamStop® (to prevent light from creating undesirable shadows).

Last edited:
You're right. Maybe it's a windowshade, douser, color changer, etc. :
...at ETC's newest lighting control product,...

I dunno, Derek. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that a "lighting control product" necessarily means a console. I've been an amateur windowshade programmer for over 15 years now, and you can usually find parts readily available at Home Depot, unlike those fancy consoles. Personally, I'm waiting with baited breath for the ETC PissPot*. It'll revolutionize the lighting control industry by.... uh.... well, I'm sure it will.... somehow....

*Maybe Apollo can make it. Then we'd get to call it the Smart PissPot. :twisted:

My bets are on the new "road-ready ION" as I heard it described. An ION with built-in monitor(s) and faders. That would be great because it would simplify things for rental shops. Not having to send out ION, fader wing, 2 LCD17s, and an accessory package to end the world. It's 4 roadcases vs. 1, and I can guarantee the 1 will be smaller than the 4 put together. I think that I heard the working name "GEO" tossed around at some point if this is the console that I think it is. Can't quite remember, though.

I wonder about this philosophy and would have to ask Al Ridella at 4Wall for his input, but I would think the Ion concept - simple/small desk with add on's would work well for the shop. need just an Ion and a monitor ?. Easy. Want an add'l touch screen, or 2, easy. Add a small 2x10 wing, OK, or 2 2x40 wings ?, also OK. Remember as well that ETC took a ton of grief over the footprint of the smallest Express vs. the Microvision and that drove the Ion size and package somewhat.

Yes it's more road cases, but right now if someone comes in with an Expression, they have 3 cases anyway, for console, monitor 1 and monitor 2. Recall the posts a few weeks ago about how Prod Arts got Strand to downsize the big Light Palette desk to 4 units, facepanel, 2 monitors and processor ?. Same thing now and easier to lift many small cases then one huge one. Anybody remember lifting a Diamond 4 ?.

If I had any input, I'd want a desk between Ion and Eos, in terms of address counts, in a size slightly larger then an Ion with all the buttons and layout of the Eos,, just no screens or faders. Yes I'd want a Grand Master (what were they thinking ?), but I'd stick with the fader wings and then maybe allow 4 touch screens.

If I were ETC I'd be taking the Eos OS and improving the ML/Pixel/LED capabilities in a desk that competes with the GrandMA. That's the desk that's the competition.

I'm gonna ditto what Soundlight is saying, all the buzz I've heard in the NYC scene is that is codenamed Geo and in the ion/eos range of things.

From the email from, ETC:

CUE attendees will be the first to see the brand new lighting control console revealed

But wait...there more,

CUE participants will also get a sneak peek of other not-yet-released and industry changing lighting innovations.

should be interesting!

I'm gonna ditto what Soundlight is saying, all the buzz I've heard in the NYC scene is that is codenamed Geo and in the ion/eos range of things.

Not quite sure why they'd need that. How many theatres really are to powerful for the Ion but can't afford an EOS?

Not quite sure why they'd need that. How many theatres really are to powerful for the Ion but can't afford an EOS?

Probably a lot. IIRC, Eos is pretty expensive, and an Ion considerably less so. Also, I doubt that theatres are just their target, touring probably has something to say about it as well...

On a totally unrelated note, any idea how ETC got the name ION for that particular product? I get Eos, Element makes some sense as well, and starting with Element Ion makes sense, but then Eos doesnt. I mean: Element (basic state) > add a charge and get an Ion > the goddess of the dawn? Perhaps Element be Selene, Ion Eos, and Eos Helios makes more sense? Ahh, the wonders of Google and the questions that its search returns bring...

Last edited:
Probably a lot. IIRC, Eos is pretty expensive, and an Ion considerably less so. Also, I doubt that theatres are just their target, touring probably has something to say about it as well...

On a totally unrelated note, any idea how ETC got the name ION for that particular product? I get Eos, Element makes some sense as well, and starting with Element Ion makes sense, but then Eos doesnt. I mean: Element (basic state) > add a charge and get an Ion > the goddess of the dawn? Perhaps Element be Selene, Ion Eos, and Eos Helios makes more sense? Ahh, the wonders of Google and the questions that its search returns bring...

In the unfathomable world of console naming, it's all about derivatives--and what side of bed one got out of that morning.

Expression.

ST

I had a little fun with Anne Valentino a while back, suggesting that the consoles in this line were named after cars (USA models):

Saturn ION
Honda ELEMENT
VW EOS

Will the trend continue? Who knows... :grin:

-Todd

Next one can be the Suburban. Or maybe the Silverado.

As long as it isn't a YUGO or a PINTO...

-Todd

How 'bout the PRIUS? ;)

. ^ get the reference to the other thread? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How 'bout the PRIUS? ;)

. ^ get the reference to the other thread? ;)

What drives the names of the products in the Eos family? For the most part, names that can't be shortened to something else. Having dealt with products like Obsession and Virtuoso, which were shortened to Obs and Vert - a prime directive was a name short enough that it didn't need to be truncated verbally!

Yes, the entire family has some relation to names of autos (incidental by the way), we've stopped short of replacing the level wheel with a steering wheel! But there are also television networks, cameras, and a now defunct airline all sharing names with the family as well. Virtually impossible these days to find a name that hasn't been used for something. You have all (mostly) correctly identified the genesis of the names.

Eos - Greek goddess of the dawn (also a car and airline).
Ion - relates to our legacy product lines, as Steve points out, and has a Greek sort of thing going on.
Element - not three letters like the rest of the family to differentiate it from a feature standpoint, containing the functional DNA of the product line.
:)

Anne Valentino
ETC

Volkswagen Eos, that's available
Or the Ikea Leko car share
Or having to attend a focus session
Dimmers can reduce the number of Volts available.

So, I'm going to drive my Eos, over the tundra, to my friends house, where he fixed the dimmer that would reduce too many volts, then taking his Leko to the focusing session? I hope someone fixed the smartfade, it was beginning to bug ME. Our scenic director, cheyenne, made this panorama that's really hard to light. Sorry about the bad puns, I have a bit of an obsession, but I'm happy, it's a good way to express yourself, and I'm in my element.

Ps, Please don't take anything in this post seriously!

So, I'm going to drive my Eos, over the tundra, to my friends house, where he fixed the dimmer that would reduce too many volts, then taking his Leko to the focusing session? I hope someone fixed the smartfade, it was beginning to bug ME. Our scenic director, cheyenne, made this panorama that's really hard to light. Sorry about the bad puns, I have a bit of an obsession, but I'm happy, it's a good way to express yourself, and I'm in my element.

Ps, Please don't take anything in this post seriously!

Wow, you have a rough life... Driving over the tundra in an Eos. Ironically, a Tundra might be a better thing to drive over the tundra in... I would recommend some cyc lights to light that panorama...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back