New Products Unveiled at CUE: ETC GIO, LED S4

Just re-warming up this thread for the big announcement...

Last edited:
Well, here it is - the ETC GIO!

proxy.php

Sadly, my schedule doesn't allow me to actually be at CUE next week, but a friend I follow on Twitter is, and she's been posting photos and information for the past couple minutes. Don't ask me any questions, as I'm mostly just cross-posting from Daphne Mir (@lekogirl), also known as our very own (yet sadly no longer active) Serendipity! Obviously, all photos are her property.

The GIO is intended to redefine the middle class of lighting consoles - which I take to mean that it will fill a void between the ION and the EOS. GIO is built and has an appearance similar to an EOS, but the two built-in touchscreens are significantly thinner. Additionally, the touchscreen panel can fold down to lie flat a la GrandMA, which should make touring and transportation much easier. Like the EOS, it supports three external monitors. Unlike the EOS, however, all of the keys are backlit, something that EOS programmers have been begging for for years. Rather than having a separate touch-screen LCD for the encoder display, the Encoders are located underneath the right touchscreen and the controls are displayed on the bottom of that screen. The console is expected to be released in September. I'll try to update this if she adds more, but feel free to check out Daphne's twitter page directly. Also, if anyone has any specific questions but doesn't have a Twitter, pass them along and I can see if she'll answer them.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Omg it's so beautiful a friend of mine just posted it on facebook, I hope I get to play with one soon.

Now what can the second surprise be?

It comes with a bed sheet to hide it from other people.

Does anyone want to give me one to uhm... test it for them? ;)

Okay, so I was off on one of the letters (I instead of E) but otherwise pretty much right on the money. That is one attractive looking lighting desk. I do wish they'd included more faders and used ION-wing style subs (smaller, 2 buttons) rather than the larger style playbacks. I like more faders to use for subs during programming.

IF only it had a big yellow trackball. ;)

...Eos Kid/jr, (Geo/Geos/Gion ?), an Ion with built-in fader wing.
----
We have a new innovation up our sleeve. Attendees to this summer's CUE event will get the first, exclusive look at ETC's newest lighting control product, ...
From the hyperbolic language used, one might expect it to be more than an extension to an existing product line.
Forgive my asking, but what exactly is innovative about this newest lighting control product?

Forgive my asking, but what exactly is innovative about this newest lighting control product?

That's a fair point. Although it clearly falls within the Eos family line, without having any kind of official word or any idea of the actual capabilities of the desk, I'm hesitant to really pass judgement yet. For all we know, this could integrate some significant improvements to the software itself - doubtful, but possible. From what I've heard thus far, it looks to me more like an "Eos 2.0" - taking the things they didn't do right in Eos and putting it into a smaller product aimed at a lower segment of the market. I suppose it makes sense - the lack of foldable screens, and thus the relative fragility of the desk, has been one of the big reasons that the Eos hasn't seen a huge role in the touring market. I'm sure ETC wanted to fix this as soon as possible, but it would be practically impossible for them to re-release the Eos body with foldable monitors, backlit keys, and other hardware modifications. I'm sad that it doesn't look like they've added a slide-out tray for a keyboard, mouse, or beltpack. While not necessary, a keyboard makes running the Eos a bit easier, and a mouse is really useful for non-touchscreen external monitors. I'm REALLY hoping that those 8 unmarked buttons between the two touchscreens are View (Snapshot) buttons, or are available to have Macros assigned to them - I've long wanted a series of hard keys to quickly switch between views like the MA family has. I'm also not really sure what those two VERY large wheels (level wheels?) are, and why you need two of them in such prominent locations.

What i want to know is it looks like they have left and right speaker outs on the back, and some kind of potentiomiter by the power plug... Also the keys look strangely like eject, play and stop buttons... This is definately interesting to speculate but again, Since nothing is really said about this it makes me wonder...

NOT speaking for ETC, but based on observations of other consoles in the family...
What i want to know is it looks like they have left and right speaker outs on the back...
Those are your standard PC mic input and speaker output. Since they are present on the motherboard, ETC simply brought them to the back panel. Not implemented at this time.

...and some kind of potentiomiter by the power plug...
Intensity control of the console's Littlite s.

...Also the keys look strangely like eject, play and stop buttons...
Since the buttons' functions are user-selectable (GO+, GO-, STOP, PAUSE, BUMP, SOLO, etc.), many consoles have taken to labeling them with symbols rather than words.

What i want to know is it looks like they have left and right speaker outs on the back, and some kind of potentiomiter by the power plug... Also the keys look strangely like eject, play and stop buttons... This is definately interesting to speculate but again, Since nothing is really said about this it makes me wonder...

I think those are audio in/out, but the picture isn't very clear. The potentiometer is probably for the two littlelites. Yes, they do!

EDIT: Wow...I was way too slow!

I'm also not really sure what those two VERY large wheels (level wheels?) are, and why you need two of them in such prominent locations.

The one on the right is probably a level wheel, the one to the left probably changes fader pages like on an Eos.

I'm also really glad they added the back-lit keys and from the looks of the picture, actually made it possible to dim the console littlelits.

The wheels are for intensity & rate. Although I didn't ask the rep directly, an attendee said they told him $20k was the price. They rolled three out for show & tell.

Is it just me or to the big silver GIO letters in the center make you think of Giovanni. It looks like something out of a fashion show. Pretty awesome though, looks good.

Now that you mention that, it really reminds me of the Georgio Armani logotype. That, or it was designed with Don Giovanni in mind. Really, though, I think it may be the best-designed product that I have seen in the industry, from a purely visual standpoint.

Now that you mention that, it really reminds me of the Georgio Armani logotype. That, or it was designed with Don Giovanni in mind. Really, though, I think it may be the best-designed product that I have seen in the industry, from a purely visual standpoint.

Na. OBII (Obsession 2) has that distinction. If anything looked "Star Trek", its that console.

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Na. OBII (Obsession 2) has that distinction. If anything looked "Star Trek", its that console.

proxy.php

I have to say, when I first saw that picture, I didn't believe that was actually a light board. :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back