New project: filtering or sealing trackspots

Or Burning Man?

I thought burning man too, but too far in advance? (Actually I don't know when it is, but whatever. A row of trackspots/technobeams would definitely make a pretty sweet vehicle.)

Or Burning Man?

Ding.

I already got booked for next year's event. I have 80 amps off of a generator and my general costs are covered. They want moving lights and I don't want to lose fixtures (i don't think they'll cover that). Its on a vehicle that will have to brave the environment for 1 week. (on the outside of the vehicle). I'm willing to lose a fixture or 2, but not a dozen. All parts are expendable except the boards.

Last year, we brought a 3 watt full color laser out. The laser survived fine but the scanners died by the end of the week. After we replaced those and the cost of the blown computers (none survived), it was a wash. This year, I'd like to at least make enough profit to cover a car wash after the event.

The plexiglass is out because I really don't want to haul it and rental trailer will put me over budget.

I chose trackspots and AF1000s because they are probably the most durable fixtures ever built and they will fit within the 80 amp power restraint. They are also easy and cheap to work on. You can't get cheaper parts for any other fixture that is still in the field. Plus, lamps are $6 for the trackspots and $30 for the AF1000s.

So, the options are:
1. a filtration system of some kind
2. a unified air duct system
3. have to blow out every fixture with a compressor every day
4. turn down the gig (but its always a blast to do)
5. Do lasers again for another company, even tho it gets boring quick and I probably won't make any $ after costs
6. Hire a bunch of midget to wave flashlights to the beat

Still not seeing why the giant fish tank doesn't work for you. It sees by far the easiest and most reliable. Just screw it right onto the side of Mad Max's dance machine and you're good to go.

You'll probably have to do this no matter what - that sand gets everywhere, no matter how much things are sealed off...
Yeah but there's a probelm with compressors....oil in the line...

Yeah but there's a probelm with compressors....oil in the line...

and all the other random particles that become mini projectiles..

you should use the co2 blasters for the specific purpose, they are made for dusting off computers and other electronics

Well, if the plexi really is out...

I'd think you could take a sheet of R00 and some gaff and rig a shield for the mirror enclosure. You'd have to tape it really well (and the sand would be bothersome for the tape border), but it'd probably protect the mirror well. (Assuming the range of motion of the mirror doesn't prevent this, I've never worked with trackspots).

Other than that, for the exhaust I'd recommend the PC fans with filters idea, assuming a simple filter wouldn't do it (you said that heat would probably not be an issue, so unless the cooling fan wouldn't have to work too hard to get the air through the filter, it might be all right?)

TTTTTRRRRRRRAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSSSPPPPPPOOOOOOTTTTTT
Gotta that smooooooth pan and tilt! hahahaha

Hey, are you making fun of trackspots?

These things rock. They are still one of my favorite fixtures. They're so durable, i don't put them in road cases, i attach the power cables to my bumper and drag them to shows.

TTTTTRRRRRRRAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSSSPPPPPPOOOOOOTTTTTT
Gotta that smooooooth pan and tilt! hahahaha

Sounds like our friend from "Black Coffee Productions" had a little extra coffee this morning!

im with the dome or plexiglass idea also it would fairly easy to at least make plexiglass boxes yourself and just have the fixture snugly put in so the outlet of heat isn't covered

trackspots sound disgusting when you move the mirror anyway sand is only going to make that worse.

Here you go!! Might need a little 'modding, but it's pre-built!
proxy.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back