New project

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
I’m doing a front foot light shadow effect on the cyc. Finally a non LED or fluorescent project. (Yea! While also working on four other LED tape light projects, and trying to get to the dozen or more followspots to service call.) A rush on this foot light with shell audience light screen.

I figure I should be using incandescent in ability to not safety screen it with the option of using a 2Kw halogen lamp with hardware cloth applied if needed. I looked into using a 1Kw/24v G-40 lamp I have in stock for a R&V beam projector, but while it would no doubt be incredibly bright, the chrome top limits it’s upper beam spread. A shame in a limit in what I could do. Sure... it would be easy to do say a 5Kw DPY halogen lamp, or up to 8,500w xenon Hunguro Flash T-Light - do something that could spotlight either of which blinding the talent - perhaps permanently. I even have 20Kw BCM lamps in stock... similar in damaging talent.

1.5Kw incandescent safe with 2Kw halogen in reserve is where I am looking.

Initially I was thinking 1.5Kw DKX/DSF, but given silicone coating, and GE’ is back ordered until May; even if there wasn’t problems with getting the lamp, the silicone coating was a problem in filament only projection... Tested a DKZ frosted, and as similar somewhat to silicone coated, would not give a good shadow. It was with a 1916 era Olivalitte but I forgot to black mask off the ceramic coated white reflector. Wasn’t at 30' impressive with shadow on a wall with DKZ. Tested a clear 1Kw lamp with a M’ type filament and it was a little better for shadow in a lit room without masking the reflector. 1.5Kw incandescent is the way to go with incandescent, with 2Kw halogen held in reserve.

Called around a bit for who was still making a 1.5Kw incandescent lamp... nobody. Ok, that part number is delisted... let’s try this one.... that one is bad or doesn’t exist, let’s switch brands and try this one... etc.

Ushio DTJ still available. Incandescent, a tubular 2.5" in dia in much easier to fit into a shell. Easy to find on their website, once you figure out where to search it - no websites are presay easy. Quick call to place the order and done. They don’t have a P-40s lamp socket listed for resale, but I have them already in stock or can borrow from an antique if not. Switching lamp sockets but the same concept in already having 2Kw BVW lamps in stock for option B’ halogen of the same socket.

I need it this done by Monday.

Onto the shell of the foot light masking.

A 3" or 4" NPT conduit size "Service Head" - where the power service comes into a building can be cut into a mask/shell blocking light to the audience. Lamp base installed inside it - though now complex in how to mount. A shell around the lamp of shape and size that will work once the head of it is cut off with a 2.1/2" or less if halogen tubular lamp OD.

Narrow height wiring box below the shell and lamp socket or housing lamp socket and easy done once drilled. Figuring out a screen for the service head option, a little more difficult, but possible.

I love incandescent type special projects.

Come on Ship where are the pictures. This one sounds interesting.

I’m doing a front foot light shadow effect on the cyc. Finally a non LED or fluorescent project. (Yea! While also working on four other LED tape light projects, and trying to get to the dozen or more followspots to service call.) A rush on this foot light with shell audience light screen.

I figure I should be using incandescent in ability to not safety screen it with the option of using a 2Kw halogen lamp with hardware cloth applied if needed. I looked into using a 1Kw/24v G-40 lamp I have in stock for a R&V beam projector, but while it would no doubt be incredibly bright, the chrome top limits it’s upper beam spread. A shame in a limit in what I could do. Sure... it would be easy to do say a 5Kw DPY halogen lamp, or up to 8,500w xenon Hunguro Flash T-Light - do something that could spotlight either of which blinding the talent - perhaps permanently. I even have 20Kw BCM lamps in stock... similar in damaging talent.

1.5Kw incandescent safe with 2Kw halogen in reserve is where I am looking.

Initially I was thinking 1.5Kw DKX/DSF, but given silicone coating, and GE’ is back ordered until May; even if there wasn’t problems with getting the lamp, the silicone coating was a problem in filament only projection... Tested a DKZ frosted, and as similar somewhat to silicone coated, would not give a good shadow. It was with a 1916 era Olivalitte but I forgot to black mask off the ceramic coated white reflector. Wasn’t at 30' impressive with shadow on a wall with DKZ. Tested a clear 1Kw lamp with a M’ type filament and it was a little better for shadow in a lit room without masking the reflector. 1.5Kw incandescent is the way to go with incandescent, with 2Kw halogen held in reserve.

Called around a bit for who was still making a 1.5Kw incandescent lamp... nobody. Ok, that part number is delisted... let’s try this one.... that one is bad or doesn’t exist, let’s switch brands and try this one... etc.

Ushio DTJ still available. Incandescent, a tubular 2.5" in dia in much easier to fit into a shell. Easy to find on their website, once you figure out where to search it - no websites are presay easy. Quick call to place the order and done. They don’t have a P-40s lamp socket listed for resale, but I have them already in stock or can borrow from an antique if not. Switching lamp sockets but the same concept in already having 2Kw BVW lamps in stock for option B’ halogen of the same socket.

I need it this done by Monday.

Onto the shell of the foot light masking.

A 3" or 4" NPT conduit size "Service Head" - where the power service comes into a building can be cut into a mask/shell blocking light to the audience. Lamp base installed inside it - though now complex in how to mount. A shell around the lamp of shape and size that will work once the head of it is cut off with a 2.1/2" or less if halogen tubular lamp OD.

Narrow height wiring box below the shell and lamp socket or housing lamp socket and easy done once drilled. Figuring out a screen for the service head option, a little more difficult, but possible.

I love incandescent type special projects.
@ship Brian; I've only done something like this once, back in the early 1970's. ANSI 'DTJ' became the lamp of choice. In my case, we were back-lighting silhouettes of performers onto an off-white cyc. Rotation of the socket / filament was finessed for sharpest image along with playing aperture games with pieces of metal coated with matte black aerosol chimney paint intended for use on galvanized metal chimney pipes. Every little thing we could paint matte black resulted in minor improvements including blacking out the white asbestos coated leads feeding the socket. Our outer housing began life as an early 1900's ollivette. It ended up being a great effect as the opening of the performance or possibly it opened the second act. Rotating the filament got us our biggest gains with all of the other details collectively sharpening the image. Thanks for dragging me kicking and screaming into Control Booth from ProSound lo those many years ago.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Service Head turned into a challenge in the style I wanted was not avaiilable thru Steiner, Local electrical supplier or Grainger. Had to accept the 3" head at the wrong angle and fitting, and find a electrical box to make the lamp seat in the shell. Welding shop is really goowin being able to weld cast aluminum to aluminum plate - following cutting away a bunch of material on the shell square/verticle. Higher NEMA type box than I wanted, but when we measured up the reflector for expacted lamp size - had to do that height of box to makeup for the Service Head I did not want to use.

Made an improvement in concept tonight. Given my alternate halogen lamp is a 2Kw BVW lamp, and it's only 1.1/.8" dia - as opposed to 2.1/.2" in dia of the DTJ, I slotted my opening and am slotting my mounting holes. This will allow the end user to move forward or backward the rear shell/non-reflector assembly dependant on what lamp is used. No idea yet on how to cage that alternate lamp, but should be easy enough.

One of my assistants reminded me he had a source for old street light lamp housings. Were I able to get a PS-52 lamp, this will have been the perfect shell otherwise.

Thanks on the DTJ note in having used it for the effect I'm working on - helps in not getting the lamp until morning, likely it will work well.

Attachments

• shadow light.jpg
    shadow light.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 146
That’s huge and looks pretty cool.

Photo makes it look larger than it is. Rounding at the top of the non-reflector/shell is the major factor in keping the lamp at least 1" away from it. DTJ lamp is 9.1/2" long, BVW is 7.1/2" long and a smaller dia. or lamp tube. Big difference in where the lamp would seat in the shell, as with how much control of the side spill where 1possible with a 1.1/4" adjustment front to back for focus. Box is 3" tall - were the service head what I wanted, I probably will have only needed a 1" or 1RU (rack space) tall box.

Will sand blast the thing in the morning than paint flat black.

I hope you haven’t painted it yet. Leave a logo of a ship on it somewhere lol.

I don’t sign stuff since about 1993 when I made my first T-2.1/2 outdoor wash light, in making it into a in-line flourescent starter base strobe light. A concept I found in a book I was using at school. For me, once something is out the door, onto the next project, and I no longer hold feelings about what was made last week or last year. I have made a bunch of stuff over the years - after out the door, it is mostly just gone for me and onto the next project. Scrap it if no longer useful mostly as a concept.

Got the lamp in today, had to add a 1/4" spacer plate to the fixture, and scrap the concept of focus unless using the 2Kw halogen lamp - which would need a cage around it I hope not to have to make, but work well with the focus of the lamp verses how in front of the filament it is from the shell. The incandescent tubular lamp was a bit more tall than would fit into the shell I got.

Prototype as the end fixture is often guesswork and sometimes does not work out well in learning from it. Give me more than two days and I could get the parts I want and given the learning curve - do better. I wanted a really short electrical box under the lamp as my main disappointment. More time... I could have easily with the parts available raised the reflector more.

Still though, given two days to make... should work fine as per request.

Attachments

• IMG_ds shadow foot light.jpg
    IMG_ds shadow foot light.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_ds shadow foot light.jpg
    IMG_ds shadow foot light.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 104

Users who are viewing this thread

Back