New QLX-D - tips?

Jay Ashworth

Our new mic gear is finally in (college provisioning cycles are hell), and we're setting it up on the 20th.

It's QLX-D; we'll be rebuilding our 6-channel analog Shure SKB cases into 8-channel digitals; we're going to reuse the power/splitters, and we'll be putting switches in, so we can control the 16 new recievers from WWB/Mac in the booth.

6 of our old analogs were below 600MHz, so we're keeping them; shuffling as necessary to have the 6 channels that live in the booth on those receivers if they aren't already.

I'm assuming that I'll be able to fix those 6 receivers' bands in WWB, and have it coordinate all 22 receivers, even though I'll have to tune the analog ones myself; that's correct?

WWB won't freak out if it can't find all the receivers it knows about, right?

We sometimes use one stage box, sometimes too; I don't always turn on receivers I know won't have a pack/handheld on them, depending on whom the A2 is.

I am looking forward to being able to replace a dying pack by just resyncing the new one to the relevant receiver...

Anyone have any other QLX tips or web pointers to share?

Yes, you can tune the QLX'D's in WWB. As for coordinating with the analog, you can either manually input the analog settings into WWB and it'll tell you where to park everything including the analog systems after you run a scan, or you can turn them all on where they currently are and it'll catch them in the scan and park your QLX-D's around them. WWB is pretty smart in that you can put just about any wireless system in it including those from AT, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, etc, and it'll play nicely together with everyone.

To maximize battery life and RF intermod, I would run at 1mW transmit power. If you encounter drop-outs you can always bump up to 10mW if needed.

Nice catch on the power; I'm only going 30 feet, so 1mw oughtta be fine

On the freqs, I guess I'll let WWB do a full scan the first time, put the analogs where it says, and then let it work around them on later scans.

I'm a big believer in scanning before every run.

And after having to call Shure because the button that copies the scanned hardware from the first tab to the second tabe (of WW6) so you can generate freqs for it is *critically* mislabeled (the phone guy even agreed with me on that...

I got everything done. Though I learned that "labor to resync all the mics" is the commodity behind the Generate Frequencies button...

1) Is it possible to lock the freqs on the mics I've already generated so that I can build 2 more without trashing all the aforementioned labor?

2) Can I do a "current" bandscan, and pull that in to compare to my generated freqs before a show, to *see* if I need to redo that labor to avoid a new conflict? If so, can I "unlock" only the channels actually in conflict, to move them somewhere else?

Is there a *good* level-1 tutorial for people who *aren't* using WW6 to coordinate the Super Bowl? It seems to me that they've made it powerful enough to support that at the expense of making it so complex it's difficult to intake without training.

@Jay Ashworth To answer your questions, 1) Yes. Just click the lock next to each channel you want to lock in the Frequency Coordination tab. Then any additional units you add will be coordinated around the existing frequencies (if possible). 2) Yes. Just click the gear next to Recent Scans in the upper left corner on the Frequency Coordination tab. Pick any receiver or receivers, and scan them. Then you can click Analyze below to see how your frequencies stack up. You may need to adjust the Scan Peak Threshold and Exclusion Threshold options, though the defaults are pretty good.

Have you looked over the YouTube tutorial videos for WWB? They're pretty helpful and break complex topics down into digestible chunks.
www.shure.com/wwb-tutorial-videos

No, I suppose I haven't. I tend to prefer it in print, but I'll check them out.

Thanks.

[ Edit: ] Is it just me, or is that playlist not in a reasonable order? Looks like things that I expect earlier videos to depend on aren't discussed until one later in the list...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back