New rules for Type SJ in 2020 NEC

STEVETERRY

The 2020 NEC is now published. One of the most important changes of interest to the entertainment industry is new 520.68(A)(2) covering allowable cable types for portable equipment in theatres and similar locations:

520.68 Conductors for Portables.

520.68(A)(2) Protected Applications.

Listed, hard usage (junior hard service) cord or cable shall be permitted where all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The cord or cable is protected from physical damage by attachment over its entire length to a pipe, tower, truss, scaffold, or other substantial support structure, or installed in a location that inherently prevents physical damage to the cord.
(2) The cord or cable is connected to a branch circuit protected by an overcurrent protective device rated at not over 20 amperes.
(3)The cord or cable does not exceed 30 m (100 ft) in length.

ST

The caveats are not as simple as they seem. If you use SJ on deck it has to be protected from physical damage. How many Yellow Jacket cable protectors decorate your stage set, wings and upstage crossover? A simple mat or cover will not do.

I'm happy the Code committee saw fit to make these changes, though.

Aahhh 44-102 and such so often ignored. Surprising how many ESA inspectors don't know certain sections of the CEC worth a crap.

And, if there was some formal alignment between the development of the NEC and the CEC, we would all be better off.
Reminder: we are connected to a common power grid. Now, explain to me like I'm five years old, why do we need two different electrical codes?

Note: the CEC has allowed SJ in theatres for some time:

44-354 Flexible conductors for portable equipment
Conductors for arc lamps, bunches, or other portable equipment shall be flexible cord of types suitable for extrahard
usage, as selected in accordance with Rule 4-012(1) or 4-040(1), but for separate miscellaneous portable
devices operated under conditions where the conductors are not exposed to severe mechanical damage, flexible
cord types suitable for other than hard usage, as selected in accordance with Rule 4-012(1) or 4-040(1), shall be
permitted to be used.

Other than that unique piece of forward-looking code, CEC section 44 is shockingly antiquated. I challenge our entertainment industry colleagues north of the border to get to work on that with CSA and fix it! We did it with the NEC in 1984, you can too! Your US code colleagues are standing by to help! :cool:

ST

And, if there was some formal alignment between the development of the NEC and the CEC, we would all be better off.
Reminder: we are connected to a common power grid. Now, explain to me like I'm five years old, why do we need two different electrical codes?
I believe it's something to do with Donnie's walls, that and orange makeup.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

NFPA actually went thru years ago and made metric references to everything, in all their codes, partially to help with adoption in other countries. Must've been quite a project.

All of this matters only if your local jurisdiction adopts the new Code any time soon. In my locale we're at least 3 cycles behind. No SJ for me today...

All of this matters only if your local jurisdiction adopts the new Code any time soon. In my locale we're at least 3 cycles behind. No SJ for me today...

My experience is that if a later version of the NEC is more permissive in a specific section like 520.68(A)(2), a local AHJ will accept the later version. This is especially true of portable equipment that is not permanently installed in the building.

ST

The general rule I've found is to use a newer edition, you have to meet all of it. Codes are written in their entirety, and risky to pick more permissive pieces from different editions.

The general rule I've found is to use a newer edition, you have to meet all of it. Codes are written in their entirety, and risky to pick more permissive pieces from different editions.

Bill, that's generally true. But portable equipment in Article 520 is a fairly isolated case where a strong argument could be made with the AHJ that there are no correlating issues with earlier editions created by new 520.68(A)(2).

ST

I agree, but some AHJs don't. On the other hand, the use of non-code compliant cables is pretty common already. Could be ask forgiveness if called on it and use the change as basis for mercy.

Just want to make sure I have this right. Upgrading stage power distro, primarily for music performance, using some hard rubber outlet boxes with double duplex 5-20 and powercon in/out. They are from OAwindsor for those familiar. One run from spider box (20amp protected circuit) along UL to UR and one run from spider box outlet (20amp protected circuit) DL to DR. Spacing and number of outlets on each run would vary depending on stage size and band requirements, but most would be 3 outlet boxes on each run spaced 10 to 15 feet apart. As I understand it this requires SOOW or equivalent type cable and most reasonable to fit the powercon connections would be 14/3, which limits the load to 18 amps. I've considered placing a Furman unit with a 15amp breaker upstream in-between the stage outlets and the spider box, but reading through the NEC/NFPA 70 I can't decipher how those Furman units are defined, any clarity on that would be greatly appreciated. SOOW 12/3 would be the proper cable, but I haven't found any with an OD of 15mm or less that will fit the powercon connectors. The other option would be to use 12/3 SJOOW and make the case that the runs are UL to UR and DL to DR where there is literally no foot traffic. Portable stages used are typically anywhere from 28" to 48" high so you can't walk over the cable downstage without falling off and upstage they are between the backline gear no mans land and the stage handrails where only a tech or the musician would access. Appreciate any advice, guidance, recommendations or directions.

Just want to make sure I have this right. Upgrading stage power distro, primarily for music performance, using some hard rubber outlet boxes with double duplex 5-20 and powercon in/out. They are from OAwindsor for those familiar. One run from spider box (20amp protected circuit) along UL to UR and one run from spider box outlet (20amp protected circuit) DL to DR. Spacing and number of outlets on each run would vary depending on stage size and band requirements, but most would be 3 outlet boxes on each run spaced 10 to 15 feet apart. As I understand it this requires SOOW or equivalent type cable and most reasonable to fit the powercon connections would be 14/3, which limits the load to 18 amps. I've considered placing a Furman unit with a 15amp breaker upstream in-between the stage outlets and the spider box, but reading through the NEC/NFPA 70 I can't decipher how those Furman units are defined, any clarity on that would be greatly appreciated. SOOW 12/3 would be the proper cable, but I haven't found any with an OD of 15mm or less that will fit the powercon connectors. The other option would be to use 12/3 SJOOW and make the case that the runs are UL to UR and DL to DR where there is literally no foot traffic. Portable stages used are typically anywhere from 28" to 48" high so you can't walk over the cable downstage without falling off and upstage they are between the backline gear no mans land and the stage handrails where only a tech or the musician would access. Appreciate any advice, guidance, recommendations or directions.
I trust you've read this post by Steve Terry. In addition to running ETC, Mr. Terry is also one of the people responsible for writing and updating the theatre section of your US National Electrical Code. I suspect you can regard his word as gospel.

The 2020 NEC is now published. One of the most important changes of interest to the entertainment industry is new 520.68(A)(2) covering allowable cable types for portable equipment in theatres and similar locations:

520.68 Conductors for Portables.

520.68(A)(2) Protected Applications.

Listed, hard usage (junior hard service) cord or cable shall be permitted where all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The cord or cable is protected from physical damage by attachment over its entire length to a pipe, tower, truss, scaffold, or other substantial support structure, or installed in a location that inherently prevents physical damage to the cord.
(2) The cord or cable is connected to a branch circuit protected by an overcurrent protective device rated at not over 20 amperes.
(3)The cord or cable does not exceed 30 m (100 ft) in length.
Paging @STEVETERRY

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Ron,
Yes, I think I've read almost everything he and others have posted on the SO versus SJ here and other sites along with applicable chapters in the NFPA 70. Seems clear and has been for while regarding truss, lifts, pipes etc. The two specific questions are first, as I described the cable would lay in an area inaccessible to anyone except techs or performers needing to plug something in or on the backline to adjust equip settings, would that meet the "location that inherently prevents damage..."? Could gaff it down to make sure nobody moves a box out into the performance area, a mess on strike, but if that is necessary and safer, oh well. The other questions is since the Furman has a 15amp circuit breaker does that make the outlets part of a protected branch or is it still looked at like a basic powerstrip? My preference would be to use the 12/3 SJOOW direct to the protected outlet on the spider box then do best to meet the requirements for protection...

Ron,
Yes, I think I've read almost everything he and others have posted on the SO versus SJ here and other sites along with applicable chapters in the NFPA 70. Seems clear and has been for while regarding truss, lifts, pipes etc. The two specific questions are first, as I described the cable would lay in an area inaccessible to anyone except techs or performers needing to plug something in or on the backline to adjust equip settings, would that meet the "location that inherently prevents damage..."? Could gaff it down to make sure nobody moves a box out into the performance area, a mess on strike, but if that is necessary and safer, oh well. The other questions is since the Furman has a 15amp circuit breaker does that make the outlets part of a protected branch or is it still looked at like a basic powerstrip? My preference would be to use the 12/3 SJOOW direct to the protected outlet on the spider box then do best to meet the requirements for protection...
I think it is a stretch to say that such a device on the stage floor is "inherently protected". Why not use an L5-20 for the in/out (rather than a PowerCon) and then use SO or a derivative?

ST

I already have the Powercon boxes so would be great to figure out a way to use them properly for the stage, but safety first. The L5-20 would work, but could only only find metallic boxes with 12/3 SJOOW tails for the in/out. There are some rubberized that are hard wired with L5-50p, they also use 12/3 SJOOW, good grief. Appreciate if anyone has a link to proper product or any other creative, but safe way for stage electrical service for the band and active monitors that connects to protected 20amp GFCI circuit at the spider box.

I already have the Powercon boxes so would be great to figure out a way to use them properly for the stage, but safety first. The L5-20 would work, but could only only find metallic boxes with 12/3 SJOOW tails for the in/out. There are some rubberized that are hard wired with L5-50p, they also use 12/3 SJOOW, good grief. Appreciate if anyone has a link to proper product or any other creative, but safe way for stage electrical service for the band and active monitors that connects to protected 20amp GFCI circuit at the spider box.
We use these: https://www.temporarypowerbydesign.com/portfolio-view/standard-doghouse/

They make a single phase variety. Ours have L5-20 in and thru and 3x duplex outlets. TMB, Lex, Motion Labs, and the rest of the power distro houses all have something similar. I know the boxes you have, they are quality units. Only downside to them is the jr cable thing. It really is unfortunate that the connector of choice we've landed up for this kind of distribution won't take SO cable. I'm still blown away Neutrik hasn't done anything about that yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back