Conventional Fixtures New, smoking PAR64 fixtures

tomed101

My venue has just received a shipment of new lighting gear including 12 PAR 64's. I don't have the brand in my head at the moment but I will try and get it tomorrow, might be something like DTS? Anyway, after running them up for 2min or so they started smoking but I assumed they would stop quickly. Wrong... I ran them for an hour today to burn off any dust or whatever but now I think it's the paint. They are quite literally billowing smoke sometimes and quite effectively hazed the room. Pity about the terrible smell... It actually got to the stage where I thought the fire alarm would go off, good thing the HVAC is very effective when configured to extract... Now the big question, is this normal? I'm assuming not, and should I be requesting to have them replaced?

Hi tomed101, good questions-

The brand very well may be DTS, as many private labled PAR cans come from this Italian manufacturer. The smoke is more than likely what you think- the burning off of the paint's carrying agent. Inexpensive PAR cans generally get an inexpensive paint job whereas more costly cast aluminum ellipsoidals (ETC S4, Altman Shakespeare, etc) get a powder coat treatment.
Having visited the DTS factory, the quality of the product line and manufacturing environment is very good. Automated machinery turn out the PAR cans while someone tends a cluster or cell to maintain raw material supply.

(Perhaps the painter shot a little extra on the batch you received, or they weren't given the proper time to dry, causing more smoking than normal...)

Yes I had a batch of DTS 64's earlier this year and they smoked for about an hour, fortunately an outdoor venue so it wasn't a problem, but indoors would not be fun.After that first hour no problems.

Hmm, hadn't heard of this brand before, thanks for the new link. Interesting how much gear they produce yet I had never heard of before.

What lamp do you have in the fixture? Realizing in a quick viewing of the various classic verses pro-cans, they are both seemingly rated for 1Kw, in the past if using 1Kw lamps in a lesser can, the wiring feeding it will melt down. In general to my own standards given SJT type cable sold with PAR cans, this instead of at least 150c heat wire if not 200c heat wire whips, I would be concerned about if part of that smoke was the wire both as lampholder wiring and the fixture whip also smoking in perhaps melting or shorting to the can and or at least becoming brittle in rotting due to the heat.

If using a 1Kw lamp or perhaps even a 500w lamp and it smokes, could be more than just paint smoking - check the wiring. Unless in absolute rush to get a show out the door, normally any can or audience blinder I'll buy un-wired and wire it myself with better lampholders and wiring. Been screwed many times too much by way of what's "standard to the industry" yet not rugged enough to survive a show should a wire touch a can. This much less in standard lampholders that are not as good as quality ones.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just a follow up, since my first post I have run them for 3, 1 hour sessions to burn them in and they have stopped smoking but still smell a bit. I did check and the wiring was fine, It just looks like the paint burning. They won't be used in a show for about 2 weeks so hopefully they will stop smelling before then, otherwise we will need to come up with another solution.

Thanks again.

Smoking PAR Cans, PAR Can Quality

Hi guys and girls!

Is it normal that new PAR64 cans smoke like hell when fired up the first time?

I bought "Showtec" PARs, black. Put a 1 kW NSP in - smoke. It actually smoked to a degree that you could not even use it indoors. Really massive amounts of smoke, much more then e.g. a smoldering cigarette would produce... It seems the black paint on the protective grid in front of the lamp burns off. Well, thought it just might be crappy quality, needs a few hours of burn in, buy something different next time.

Now I bought "Stairville" PARs, also lamped with 1kW NSP... and lo and behold, it's a smoker.

Is this normal? Do you all burn your PARs in for an hour when new?

What happened to the high quality PARs that were matte black powder coated, really high quality, no smoke or even smell at all? I bought some of these about 15 years ago, it seems those are all gone?

Is there any brand for PAR cans that you can suggest?

belford.

Last edited:
Re: Smoking PAR Cans, PAR Can Quality

Altman still makes a par can as well as tomcat. New fixtures will always smell a bit as the paint burns in. The market is being flooded with cheap cans from china that are painted with not so great paint. You get what you pay for. Take them outside and turn them on for several hours and that should take care of it.

Re: Smoking PAR Cans, PAR Can Quality

It is pretty normal with the cans I see, DTS seem to smoke the best, you are probably paying a quarter of what you paid 15 years ago,[ in real terms] and the market won't stand a more expensive paint job.

The DTS Cans I originally posted about were real shockers. Took 4 hours for them to be usable and about another 4 for them to completely stop. After those 8 hours a crumbled charcoal lattice had accumulated in the nose of the light as the paint burned off the grille. In short, don't plan to use them in a show or rehearsal or any time people will be in the same room for a while. Also isolate your fire alarms or do it outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back