New Sound Gear :D

emac

Hi Everybody!

I am currently in the process of taking order of a smallish (large investment for the school) sound system.

Everything is slowly starting to trickle in and I need to start labeling gear. I have $200 to outfit a room for storage of the gear, and to label everything.

I know that I will get a bunch of silver paint pens and right the name of the school over all the speakers cases, ect. Any better ideas?

I would also like to get some silver heavy duty labels (tamper evident) to put on mics and such. Something like this. I think this will look more professional then just writing on the gear. Does anybody know of any good sources for these?

I also have a bunch of cable that will need labeling and storing. I think that I want to go with clear heat shrink with all the info printed right on it, and then cable lengths distinguished by colored E tape. Does anybody know a good source for the Heat Shrink?

I also need to find some way to store all of the cables. I am getting a cable roadcase to hold our big snake and it will have an insert to hold cables while being transported. But I need some way to store them while in the storage closet: I was thinking of either getting hooks and putting that in the wall or getting tubs to put different cable lengths in. What are the Pros and Cons of each? What do you recommend?

I also need to find a way to store all of our mics and adaptors. The mics I will most likely keep in the pouches they came with (I will add fabric labels to the pouches) and then throw them in a tub. The adaptors were all ordered with about a foot or two of cable so I can label them with the heat shrink, but I need a way to store them. Possible some sort of hand made pouch or case? Or a purchased one? Any Ideas?

I will make sure to post pictures of the final products, and possibly create a wiki entry on labeling gear (or add to one if there already is one).

Thanks for the Help!!!

max

Heatshrink - Home Be sure to check out the 2:1, 3:1, or 4:1 so you don't have to remove a connector to apply the heatshrink. If doing a lot, it's worth it to buy a heat gun. Type "heatshrink" into CB's search box; ship has expressed some strong opinions before.

For cables, in addition to owner's name under clear heatshrink, You can order velcro ties (Rip-Tie) with the venue name/logo printed on them for a 250 pc. min. order.
...The adapter s were all ordered with about a foot or two of cable so I can label them with the heat shrink, but I need a way to store them. ...
For on a wall or inside a cabinet, these.
proxy.php

I know that I will get a bunch of silver paint pens and right the name of the school over all the speakers cases, ect. Any better ideas?

I would also like to get some silver heavy duty labels (tamper evident) to put on mics and such.

Sharpie comes off easily. Tamper evident stickers would be fine on big things like speakers and cases, but not for microphones. Use an engraver to etch the microphones. It's permanent, small, and unobtrusive.

Labeling for the actual use may be one thing but have you verified if the school or school district have any kind of standardized asset management system or process? Many schools not only have to enter everything into a centralized asset management database, they have standardized labeling and asset identification nomenclature. I've had many projects where the Contractor had to provide an itemized equipment list with serial numbers so that information could be entered into their system and then have the associated asset tag applied.

For mic storage, I am a big fan of those cheap Walmart plastic drawer things, such as:
proxy.php
, minus the casters. You can get some roadcase-type foam and cut out spaces for the mics. It is so much easier to find the one you want if you have labeled drawers for each type, etc.

Sharpie comes off easily. Tamper evident stickers would be fine on big things like speakers and cases, but not for microphones. Use an engraver to etch the microphones. It's permanent, small, and unobtrusive.

I was not thinking sharpies but rather something like this or the oil based sharpie pens. Do you know if they would still come off?
I think that if I got small tamper proof labels it would look better then trying to engrave onto a circular mic. But if you have any tips on how to engrave neatly I am all ears!

Labeling for the actual use may be one thing but have you verified if the school or school district have any kind of standardized asset management system or process? Many schools not only have to enter everything into a centralized asset management database, they have standardized labeling and asset identification nomenclature. I've had many projects where the Contractor had to provide an itemized equipment list with serial numbers so that information could be entered into their system and then have the associated asset tag applied.

My school district requires anything over 300 dollars to be inventoried. I will have inventory tags on everything that is over 300 but I would like to also have more visible and heavy duty tags on there as well.

For mic storage, I am a big fan of those cheap Walmart plastic drawer things, such as:
proxy.php
, minus the casters. You can get some roadcase-type foam and cut out spaces for the mics. It is so much easier to find the one you want if you have labeled drawers for each type, etc.

I thought about something like this but I think we don't have enough variety of mics or enough quantity to justify something like this.... But maybe a smaller one.

Thanks for the Input guys/gals!!!!

You can label/mark/engrave/embroider/stamp/brand all you want, but unless there is a SECURE storage area that only the proper people have access to, gear just has a habit of growing legs.

I support your efforts, and while it certainly keeps honest people honest, nothing like having a locking cabinet (a booth is not enough) that only the necessary people have keys to.

Just my 2 cents.

I've got in the habit of using filing cabinets for mic storage in the pouches because that's what all the theaters near me do. Also for cables I just bought a 4x8 sheet of peg board for $16 from home depot that all my cables neatly hang on my wall on.
Also for the tamper resistant lablels a lot of the times school districts will have an in district print shop, I know mine does and you can custom order labels like that for much cheaper.

You can label/mark/engrave/embroider/stamp/brand all you want, but unless there is a SECURE storage area that only the proper people have access to, gear just has a habit of growing legs.

I support your efforts, and while it certainly keeps honest people honest, nothing like having a locking cabinet (a booth is not enough) that only the necessary people have keys to.

The equipment is in a locked room that only the custodians and the office have keys too. We also will most likely put a padlock on the door as well.

I've got in the habit of using filing cabinets for mic storage in the pouches because that's what all the theaters near me do. Also for cables I just bought a 4x8 sheet of peg board for $16 from home depot that all my cables neatly hang on my wall on.
Also for the tamper resistant lablels a lot of the times school districts will have an in district print shop, I know mine does and you can custom order labels like that for much cheaper.

I LOVE my districts publishing office. Their prices are absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately they cant print these types of labels.

I actually am thinking about maybe going with some of the other suggestions and engraving the mics. Does anybody have tips on how to do this profesional looking?

Also does anybody else have printed heat shrink sources?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back