New sound guy lookin for words of wisdom

hey, ive been doin sound in my high school theatre for about 3 years, and ive gotten to the point where i feel like theres nothing else for me to learn there. I can pretty much run the system they got there (24 channel mono board, 8 lavs, cd player, 1 moniter) but other than that im pretty clueless. I know a bit about EQing (high mid low), but i was just wondering if anyone had any basic advice for me. Im thinking of going into technical theatre profesionally, and i wanted to know if anyone could help me get started with the learning.

thanks for the advice, and the board used to be in stereo, but has since matured into mono. yea...

thanks for the advice, and the board used to be in stereo, but has since matured into mono. yea...

"matured" - the fancy way to say "this thing's so old that it's fallin' apart on the inside"

Start learning about the basics of RF and how the radio side of wireless systems work. This should give you something to chew on for a while. That and how acoustical systems work as a whole. I mean from the source to the brain. When I get back, I'll try to remember to post the name of a great book on the subject.

kw

Getting involved in community theatre might be good experience as might working in live sound, even if on an 'intern' basis with a local company. Also check out any nearby colleges or universities, they may have programs to involve high school students on some productions. All of these can gain some practical experience to go along with any books and formal education.

READ READ READ. Get books and magazines and even read product descriptions in catalogs. The information is all out there, and if you have any questions come here.

if you plan to attend a college with a theatre program, get involved in it right away. Sign up for backstage lab classes. You'll be amazed at how much you will learn by working just a few larger productions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back