New Stage Floor

ScenicKatie

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for the correct technician/ tradesperson to contact to get a new stage floor put in. It would involve ripping up existing tongue and groove flooring and building up from the concrete slab under it. I am thinking it would be plywood subfloor ( of course 2x4s below that) ending with a layer of masonite on top. Do I contact a regular flooring company? Or does anyone have a contact of someone in the Chicagoland area?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh, it's so much more than plywood and masonite. You're talking 2x4 sleepers on neoprene pads with depression limits, and all kinds of other esoteric specs. A search on here for "stage floor" will return much, although mostly concentrating on the top (visible) layer. By the way, it's possible one not need to go all the way down to the concrete. Perhaps put a layer of underlayment and "masonite" on top, leaving the T&G and everything below untouched.

Schuler and Shook would know, but being consultants, they'd want money to design it. But they'd design and spec it so that any contractor could build it. You wouldn't be limited to say, Chicago Scenic, who I suspect could do just as good a job. I left Chicago thirty years ago, so my contacts have pretty much dried up.

@ScenicKatie - I know it's six months later, but I just found this thread while looking for others about stage floors.
Have you completed your project, or are you still looking for local assistance? I'm happy to offer some ideas to help you connect with the right folks, if needed.

(I am one of the partners with Schuler Shook.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back