New Strand Software

Footer

Senior Team
Senior Team
Premium Member
Just an FYI, I know there are few people with palletes or light palletes out there, strand will be pushing a new "black" version of the software for those consoles within the next few weeks. I got a chance to play with it a bit tonight and it looks like a great update. Its adding a few user features that add a bit of functionality to how movers track and other small things. Over-all the software is staying similar, but they are cleaning up the interface a bit.

I've been told by my Strand rep that my console will come with the new upgrade... just as soon as they get the system turned on. It's a long painful story.:cry:

The contractor tells me that they shipped the wrong "brain" for my dimmers and sent my "brain" to an installation on the east coast. The electrician kept calling them asking for help saying that the installation instructions didn't match the dimmer's instructions. But tech support kept telling him not to worry. Finally the manufacturer's rep showed up to turn the system on and train me and said, "Well this won't work you should have called us and told us." So they had to tear a bunch of stuff apart and ship it across the country while we wait for some electricians somewhere else to ship the correct parts back. The system is about 3 weeks behind schedule at this point and there's no sign of it being done yet.

I'm not sure what the technical definition of "brain" is. Apparently whatever was wrong was internal. I went to look and see what was missing when they told me they had already removed and shipped out the bad "brain. The actual processor units on the dimmer racks never moved and I didn't see anything missing.

Sigh

The contractor tells me that they shipped the wrong "brain" for my dimmers and sent my "brain" to an installation on the east coast. The electrician kept calling them asking for help saying that the installation instructions didn't match the dimmer's instructions. But tech support kept telling him not to worry. Finally the manufacturer's rep showed up to turn the system on and train me and said, "Well this won't work you should have called us and told us." So they had to tear a bunch of stuff apart and ship it across the country while we wait for some electricians somewhere else to ship the correct parts back. The system is about 3 weeks behind schedule at this point and there's no sign of it being done yet.
I'm not sure what the technical definition of "brain" is. Apparently whatever was wrong was internal. I went to look and see what was missing when they told me they had already removed and shipped out the bad "brain". The actual processor units on the dimmer racks never moved and I didn't see anything missing.
Sigh

FYI, Gaff, you now have one of these shipping cross country.

Thanks. That was VERY helpful. :rolleyes:

Hey man, it's "the brain"! 60Hz of 20A 120V goodness. Those new-fangled processor-chips can't do anything without "the brain". (Besides, I have my money on Pringles: once you pop you just can't stop. The chip will go the way of the do-do.)

I actually did realize that last night, but I'd already put my laptop away, so I was too lazy to get it back.

But I did discover, by looking at the picture closer, that it is in fact a 20A plug.

It's been a while since I have played with a C21 rack (I am assuming this is what you are getting.) but the "Brain" of which you speak is the device that takes either the DMX or Network signals in and translates them and then drives the dimmers to the appropriate levels.

In a typical Strand rack, in additon to the standard DMX/Ethernet brain, there sometimes can be included in it the SWC/Outlook Power supply. This is a power supply/brain for a limited Architectural control system. Not nearly as powerful as Vision (or Premiere, it's precursor) but enough to get you a lot of architectural functions.

If your system is supposed to have this in it, and the processor did not come with it, then that could be your problem....

Again - this is all pure speculation on my part... I am just trying to give you a possible explanation for what might have happened.

It's been a while since I have played with a C21 rack (I am assuming this is what you are getting.) but the "Brain" of which you speak is the device that takes either the DMX or Network signals in and translates them and then drives the dimmers to the appropriate levels.
In a typical Strand rack, in additon to the standard DMX/Ethernet brain, there sometimes can be included in it the SWC/Outlook Power supply. This is a power supply/brain for a limited Architectural control system. Not nearly as powerful as Vision (or Premiere, it's precursor) but enough to get you a lot of architectural functions.
If your system is supposed to have this in it, and the processor did not come with it, then that could be your problem....
Again - this is all pure speculation on my part... I am just trying to give you a possible explanation for what might have happened.

That sounds really likely. Like I said, I've only talked to the contractor about it so "the brain" was as technical as his knowledge went. But, the system's all being set up to run via ethernet. So that makes sense that it would be the device that handles all the communications from all the various control stations around the theater.

If you go to Strands wed site you will notice they now have a Basic Palette console, half the size of the Classic Palette.

I assume you are talking about the one that only has one playback? That console is not listed, but have been available for the last year and a half, ever since the released the initial line. They were actually trying to get that console to be the flagship of the line, because of its size. They called it the microvision replacement. Most dealers bought that console to go demo with because it was so small. Personally, its my favorite of the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back