New System

My school's show choir is receiving a new sound system, courtesy of the district. Here is a list of what we're getting:

1) Soundcraft FX16 console
2) 2 Renkus Heinz CFX121
3) 2 Ultimate TS99 speaker stands
4) 2 Renkus Heinz CFX-121M 12" floor wedges
5) Custom high-quality speakon cables
6) 1 Rapco snake, 16 mic lines and 2 speaker lines, 100 ft.
7) 4 AKG C1000 condenser mics
8) 3 Sennheiser EW172 or EW135G2 wireless mics
9) 3 Countryman E6's (optioned out if getting handhelds instead of the E6's)
10) 4 Ultimate oversized overhead tripod stands with long booms
11) Marantz PMD-325 CD-R/CD-RW/ MP3 CD Player
12) SKB gig rig
13) 1 SKB 31-1610-5B-D hard storage/travel case for mics
14) 1 SKB 31-2015-7B-D, 20" x 15" hard travel case for cable storage
15) 1 Crest CC2800 amplifier (4 Ohm dual, house left, monitors right)
16) DBX DriveRack PA (with RTA mic)

Any inputs?

Last edited:
The only problem I see is that the snake has speaker runs in it - bad idea. Speaker runs are very high powered and can cause interference with mic lines in close proximity to it. I'd recommend not using those and instead making two speaker cables to run along side the snake (easy to do, and if it's speakon, no soldering necessary).

Otherwise, the system looks good.

The snake is of concern unless it is one designed to have amped speaker runs going through it. I don't have a link to one at the moment, but theres another long thread about that, so you should be able to find them pretty easily.

I agree with that. I'd say put the amps in a seperate rack as close to the speakers as possible instead of putting that amp in the console rack. Also, you loose much less power through the cable that way. Also check the gauge of the speaker cable in the snake if you still want to go that way.

The C1000S is a really good mic. And the FX16 is a pretty decent console. I've used both before, and they sound pretty good.

That was the only problem I saw. On Rapco's website, it says their power series snakes use 14 guage for the speaker runs. I guess I'll have to see if it works out ok. I just don't see why they didn't ask for any input on my part, seeing as I have done their sound for the past 3 years... Oh well.

Well, if it doesn't work out, tell them that it's really not working, and ask that they get two seperate speaker runs that can run along side the snake. That way they would also be even more isolated from the mic signals.

FusionDude
It sounds like you have got quite a bit of good equipment there. It is possible the speaker leads in the snake may cause interference on the mike leads. Although if you only run balanced lines it shoud not be a real problem. One thing to watch is how you handle the excess length of the snakes on some jobs. Quite often if we have excess cable we tend to coil the snake but if you are using the speakers down it don't. This is because coiling can attenuate high frequencies. Just lay it out bigger loops to use up the excess.

I think you will find the speaker down the snake will work okay but you could try and get them to add two 100ft speakons. If not and the speaker down the snake is a problem you can take the speakon connectors off two leads. Then use power cable (2.5 mm conductors are good) to make new speaker leads. The power cable from the local electrtical supplier will be lot cheaper then audio speaker cable but will do the same job.

One thing people seem to have missed is that by having a Gig Rig this system is meant to be portable. If you are doing concerts over more then one night you could pull the amp out and put it closer to stage.

You haven't mentioned whether the snake has any stage returns. You should try and get one with 4 returns. This will help if you move the amp to the stage failing this you will need adapters to reverse the cable. Also future proof. You may want to add another amp later or even add an old amp to get more control over the mains or monitor.

If possible a couple of wireless handheld mikes would be handy for a choir. You may have to get ones that work with the wireless receivers to save money. This shouldn't be a problem so long as they have switchables frequencies so you can rent extra receivers if head and handheld are needed at the same time.

You have probably thought of this already but once you get the new gear talk to the choir director to let you use the setup at rehearsals. This is so you can practice especially since it has a driverack. If you haven't used a driverack download the manual and start simple. For example just use it to eq the space. Once you have mastered this you will be able to move the system around the school and setup quickly. Then you can look at compression etc.

If the director is not happy point out that without the practice the sound might not be as good as possible which would reflect back on them. You get the idea.

I think that having the handheld and bodypack mics for each reciever is a good idea. Also, having XLR or 1/4" stage returns would be a very good idea as well. If you can get a 16x4 snake that would be much better. Also, I know that there is a base for the gig rig, which could be used to house the amp. That way you could put the amp under the mixer if it needs to be hidden, or roll it up behind the speakers if possible.

Gig Rig Base:
http://www.skbcases.com/product/pro_audio/rack_mount/skb-1906.html

I like the specs, the Renkuz-Heinz speakers are amazing cabs. I think the weak point in your system spec-wise is tat pesky DriveRack PA. I love the Driverack series for schools and churches (I prefer the Lake Contours for anythign truly professional). But the PA model is just not that good I think. Don't ever use the RTA!!!!!! =)

I agree with that...that's one thing that I overlooked. My school got the DRPA, and it's kinda dissapointing. Get the 260. Better features, and you can hook it up to your computer and set it that way. And if you buy from the right people, it can be had for under seven hundred dollars.

I'm new to Control Booth, but here's my .02

Since your speakers are not biamped, IMO I think you should skip the DRPA. The whole RTA set up is not a good idea.

I would rather go with a good dual channel graphic eq, rane, ashly etc, and use one channel for monitor and one for foh.

Running the speaker lines down the mic snake IMO is a very poor idea.
I agree is you have to run a speakon line for the mains and another one for the monitors.
You will be much better off with the amp down by the speakers. I do know why some designers do impliment it the way they have in this situation is that it then assures that all your equipment is connected to the same electrical supply. In lots of schools and the sort of places you may be performing, you could have ground/noise problems if the amps are on a different power line from the mixer etc. SO I usually suggest running a power line back to the mixer rack.

The AKG 1000s are pretty good, but remember that they have switches onthem and also can use batteries. They can be a bit big and obvious at a concert, I tend to use Oktava 012's.

It is too bad that they did not talk with you before they made these decisions, looks like they called someone up and they just put a standard package together.

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back