New Technical Theater Director

Sidkain

Hi gang!

I'm a new technical director in the Northern Utah area at our newly renovated facility called "The Ziegfeld Theater". I got to know the owners about a year before they bought the place and proved to them as an asset through the renovation process with my knowledge of basic construction and skill as an electrician. After installing all of the new electrical panels and learning as much as I could about sound and lights for theatre with only having about two experiences as a stagehand in Jr. High productions, they decided that my place at the theater would be as the Technical Director and I was hired on. With my VERY limited knowledge, this was a HUGE undertaking, but I am the kind of person that thirsts for knowledge and tries to learn everything. My girlfriend describes me as "The guy who can fix anything", which has come in very handy in the field.

I've been in the position for a year now, and I've learned a lot, especially from a mentor that has his Bachelor's in Lighting Design and is probably the best audio technician and designer in the state. A lot of what I've learned has been from these forums. When I came across them while googling an issue I was having, I was so thrilled! This forum is fantastic and I have all of you to thank for many of my problems being fixed. I figured after a year of sitting behind the scenes and searching the forums here, it's high time I join in on the discussions and post any problems I may have here in hopes that you wonderful colleagues can help me out. I'm still very inexperienced, but I am loving this position more and more everyday!

Thanks for all of your discussions and problem-solving attitudes, and I hope to be a big part of this community in years to come!

Welcome aboard ! Glad we could help.

I'm still very inexperienced, but I am loving this position more and more everyday!

Thanks for all of your discussions and problem-solving attitudes, and I hope to be a big part of this community in years to come!

So good to have you here with us, Sidkain!

As you journey through the world of lighting, staging and scenery, several 'Playbooks' are available for free from Apollo. While not intended to replace director's ideas, the Apollo playbooks have been compiled by KC Hooper as helpful guides to assist with the creative process. There sre several pages of free downloads listed within the Apollo website here:

Apollo Design | Downloads

All our best to you Sidkain, and thank you for participating here at the ControlBooth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back