New Theater Scene Shop

gmff

We are working with some architects on a feasibility study for a new theater. We have narrowed it down to building a NetZero building or renovating an old movie theater. Both are quite attractive the build site is off the Main Street about a stones throw with good access to parking, the movie theater is on Main Street and has a parking lot associated with it. I have about 1600 square feet and need to pack all the tools and equipment into that space. The ceiling height is 20', the space is backed up to the long side of a 50x60 black box. Since we are sharing a wall the architects want to know if everything can be set up so we open up the wall and wheel of all the tools and equipment off and use some of that for back stage space for the performance area. Does anyone do this and how does this work out if so?
I also need to come up with a base layout of tools and equipment. What do others have in your shops that you would suggest for a dedicated scene shop? I have been working out of a shop that does millwork and has everything and I do mean everything. I have kind of become custom to having everything at my disposal and need to know what would be the right things for a normal scene shop.
Thanks.

I'm going to let the modern folks deal with the details, but exactly what is this scene shop going to build. and for what kind of shows? What's needed for a 4-actor drama is far different from what's needed for "Oklahoma!" You mention "black box," so I would assume that you're not going to be building multi-level raked stage floors, multi-storey practical balcony sets (think Met Opera) but minimal large structures and mostly small-ish set pieces and props. Design your shop based on what you're planning to build in it.

I'm going to let the modern folks deal with the details, but exactly what is this scene shop going to build. and for what kind of shows? What's needed for a 4-actor drama is far different from what's needed for "Oklahoma!" You mention "black box," so I would assume that you're not going to be building multi-level raked stage floors, multi-storey practical balcony sets (think Met Opera) but minimal large structures and mostly small-ish set pieces and props. Design your shop based on what you're planning to build in it.
Will most of your sets be constructed from wood rather than welded aluminum and / or steel; you'll have little need of welding equipment and space if you're not planning any welding?
Will you be painting cloth drops??
If so, where do you plan to hang or lay them out for sizing, painting, and drying??
A vertical paint frame may be required &/or a space saver; again, what are your plans???

Occupying your stage floor for drop painting is less than desirable.
Calling: @Van and @bobgaggle
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Personally I think this would be a bad concept for many reasons. The amount of time wasted daily relocating tools and scenic pieces would be counter productive. The dust and dirt associated with the shop would make for housekeeping issues on stage during the run of a show, no matter how great your dust collection system and work environment might be. The limitations on what you are able to leave "overnight" in the shop and having to plan around the shared space and being forced to be flexible with the space large units might take while under construction would be a deal breaker for me (no matter how infrequent you might think you would be building large pieces).

~Dave

We have an old Chataqua barn and shop used to be small and downstairs (ouch) About 6 years ago had a patron leave some money, so we
built on 4000 square feet ... costumes downstairs and 4000 upstairs shop and storage. It is directly behind the stage. Everything travels through about an
8x10 corredor (flats on their side) There is a roller door in the real wall and I built a false wall built just in front 40 feet x 16 feet with steel studs faced in Lauan and has a rolling "plug"
that we can insert. Scene/drop painting can be done on the false wall that way, or if we carefully tape the seams, we can use the back wall itself as a painted scene.

Not ideal, but better than no shop space at all.

I wanted sheetrock for easy repair and spackle, but got over ridden and it's lauan. The lauan is not as dimensionally stable, so the seams show more now.
wall3.jpg
wall2.jpg
wall1.jpg

When I was in school in Pittsburgh our shop door was in the SL wing. We often used the shop as storage for big scenery during the run of a show. Is it awesome? No. Is it ok? yes. Since we don't know where all the doors of your shop are or even its dimensions (60x26?), I can only offer vague suggestions for your layout. Ideally you've got a loading door on a 26' wall and the stage door way on the other end of the 60' wall. Material storage is right inside the loading door. Stationary cutting tools are just beyond that. Assembly tables after the cutting tools. Layout/Paint deck next. This way you've got raw materials entering one end of the room and finished scenery leaving the other end as it rolls onto the stage. If you've got doors in the middle of the long walls then its easy to split the room in two, paint on one side, fabrication on the other. But like @JonCarter said, what you typically build AND what your new venue can accommodate will inform your shop layout. If you do lots of big drops, then your paint deck can be great for scenery storage.

Also, what's the schedule for your venue? No fun when you gotta strike Music Man and store it on your paint deck Mon-Wed for a lecture event then roll it all back on for a Thursday show, all while you're trying to build Noises Off at the same time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back