new to busking

Y'all just sound so much better then "hey you guys"

Yes English is a very screwed up language. In English "you" can be an appellation to one or many. In French you have "Vous", the plural form or "tu" for the informal singular version. How many fights, arguments and just plain misunderstandings have taken place over the years jus' 'cause folks is afraid afeared to say y'all ?

And have fun with that Fatfrog! :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

No, not this time. 1/4 of the butons would stick in the on position, I was sent with the wrong disk, and to top it off......the whole US SL section blinked out. Other wierdness too like; why would my US and DS lights come on at the same time. The Socapexs arn't even touching.
Well for every problem a fix i say. Butons=Fingernails. Lights=softpatch. As for the last problem thankfully I had spares to plug the offending lights into.
With that bieng said I'm of to bed. Outdoor showes in the south will zap your will to be awake.

This site is a godsend for rookies and I look to allways hold myself to a high standard, whatever the case may be. I am not one of those people who will get bent out of shape becouse people correct me, sometimes you have to learn that way. I'm not realy much of a typer(text or other wise). I will use posting on this site as practice.

That's exactly why some of us have been pushing for a little higher standard that the usual internet slang. Also with all the Aussie English we read, my vote would be to leave you alone on the use of Y'all as an acceptable regional dialect word. It's the other stuff that really twists Derek's Underoos.

...Also with all the Aussie English we read, my vote would be to leave you alone on the use of Y'all as an acceptable regional dialect word. It's the other stuff that really twists Derek's Underoos.
Doesn't seem proper to use "Aussie" and "Underoos" in the same thought.

Y'all come. (Y'all come.) You all come to see us when you can.

BTT: vidfan, it seems to me that, unless your plot includes MLs, the MC7532 would be a better board for busking than a FatFrog, but I like that their OLE is/was called PhantomFrog.

Did you learn the term "busking" here or had you heard that before?

Last edited:
BTT: vidfan, it seems to me that, unless your plot includes MLs, the MC7532 would be a better board for busking than a FatFrog, but I like that their OLE is/was called PhantomFrog.

Did you learn the term "busking" here or had you heard that before?

I would have to agre with the MC7534 bieng more adapt at geting you up and runing quickly, but if I'm going to play with movers I had better get familer with the frog series. Also not my call, you get what the boss man gives you.

I first learned the term busking back in my hippie days while playing my hand drum in the park for money, but first heard it applied to lighting while reading Automated Lighting by Richard Cadena. I'm a book reading demon :twisted:

Thats why it bothers me so much about the state of my writing/ typing skills.
If you met me you would notice that i have a large vocabulary. I just suck at spelling and some proper puncuations. But what are you gona do? Complain, or work on it? Personily I work on it, same as all of my other flaws. I'm still not using spellcheck. I don't get to use most of the words I know and have to strugle to find a word I know how to spell to get the same thought across.

Any sugestions on a good book for dimmer programing? Thats going to be my next step after i get familier with the desks that I'm using.

When its all said and done all you have is time.

...Any suggestions on a good book for dimmer programming? ...
First, and I think this was brought up before, use Firefox as your browser, as it will underline misspelled words in red as you compose your message. This will help teach you to improve your spelling.

Second, I don't understand what "dimmer programming" means. If you're referring to softpatching, just check the console's User Manual. If you're asking about Moving Light programming, Brad Schiller's book, The Automated Lighting Programmer's Handbook, is one of the best.

edit: "Words to kill: 1.gota, 2.fixin, 3.ain't, 4.aughta; but i'll never give up on y'all."
I don't feel you need to kill those words, just spell them correctly and use them, sparingly--for effect, rather than constantly. 1) gotta, 2) fixin' [add the apostrophe after the "n" to show people you know there's s'posed to be a "g" there], 3) ain't [use very sparingly] 4) oughta. "Y'all" is perfectly acceptable good Southern American English, but avoid other Foxworthy-isms, such as "Cheet?" (Did you eat?) and "jawantu?" (Do you want to?):grin: Still waiting on the list of alternate smilies. <insert "foot-tap" smilie here>

Last edited by a moderator:
What is PhantomFrog? I went to check it out and it needed to be down loaded and sence I'm on a friends computer I can't check it out. Will i need it to make disks for the Frog?

Also some knuckle head stole my OM for the Frog series at the last show. Does any one know where to find a copy? Could realy use that before my boss returns from vacation. I had the only shop copy.

Troubles a brewin and problems a stewing. Beer and soup any one?

Thats what i thought. The LD at two shows back said that my blinder problem was becouse of the dimmer set up ,but as i under stand it it's all hard wired. Aside from running a parcan set up with out a desk(done that once before, set peramiters at full , come back latter and set them at 0% ). As I'm sure you can tell my under standing at this time is hazey at best. Just a start up book so I can better under stand the full function , and troubleshooting aspect of it. I have found any monkey can hit the GO button, but a good troubleshooter is always needed.

My rule for bieng on other peoples computers states that I don't 1 down load 2 don't accept 3 dont change anything ,so untill my laptop showes up it dictionary in one hand keyboard in the other.

Vidfan, even the most advanced dimmers just have very basic manuals. You can adjust the way the dimmer acts in dimmer curve settings, some dimmers have several preset modes that work differently, for example a mode for dimming fluorescents, there are also things you can do to adjust what source the dimmer listens to first... but that's about it. I don't think there are any books on programing dimmers. I suggest you go to the ETC and Strand websites and read the dimmer manuals and post your questions in this forum. If you are interested in control of dimmers then I suggest Practical DMX by Nick Mobsby. It's a great book about the history, present, and future of protocols for controlling lighting systems. It's also much easier to read and understand than it sounds.

Derek if you know what the code is they still work :discoball: :dance: :discoball:

Last edited:
...If you are interested in control of dimmers then I suggest Practical DMX by Nick Mobsby. It's a great book about the history, present, and future of protocols for controlling lighting systems. It's also much easier to read and understand than it sounds. ...
It's also over-priced, incomplete, out of date, based on UK practices which are not necessarily the same in the US, and written by someone who had absolutely nothing to do with what we all have come to know and love/hate as "ANSI E1.11 - 2004 Entertainment Technology - USITT DMX512-A - Asynchronous Serial Digital Data Transmission Standard for Controlling Lighting Equipment and Accessories". One can purchase the real document for $40 ($30 for ESTA members).

It's also over-priced, incomplete, out of date, based on UK practices which are not necessarily the same in the US, and written by someone who had absolutely nothing to do with what we all have come to know and love/hate as "ANSI E1.11 - 2004 Entertainment Technology - USITT DMX512-A - Asynchronous Serial Digital Data Transmission Standard for Controlling Lighting Equipment and Accessories". One can purchase the real document for $40 ($30 for ESTA members).

Derek I respectfully disagree. You trashed that like Michael Gillette was the author. Just because he didn't help create DMXA doesn't mean he can't help explain it.

I should clarify that this is a 2 year old book and as a result it speaks about ACN and RDM as future concepts. They have changed a little since then and they are now coming into the real world, so yes it is a bit out of date. And at $35 it's a bit expensive. However, I have to say I am yet to find a book that explains the history of control systems, DMX, and ethernet based control as well as this one. The standard is good to read, but it isn't a good read. This book is easy to read and understand.

explaining DMX than the book vidfan has already read (but should own): Automated Lighting, by Richard Cadena.

I have moved beyond dimmers at this point. Just got some bad info. Currently I am looking in to getting my laptop up and running. I want to use it as a visulizer and found a DMX to USB adapter so maby I can use it as a back up controler in a pinch.
Just need to know how much RAM is recomended. I can double the RAM to 1 GB, but do I have to?

I am ok , I ate yesterday and I'll sleap tomorrow,so lets get this show on the road.

...I want to use it as a visualizer and found a DMX to USB adapter so maybe I can use it as a back up controller in a pinch.
Just need to know how much RAM is recomended...
Male end first, there, vidfan. You found a USB to DMX adapter. A DMX to USB adapter would be required to take a "real" console's output into a visualizer. For your purposes, if you're running PhantomFrog and Wyg or ESP (or FrogViz, whatever it's called) on the same machine, no adapter is required. A better way might be to have the console software on one machine and the pre-viz software on another machine and have the two networked.

As to how much RAM is needed, the virtual console software's needs are minimal. For the best viz softwares, fancy-schmancy video cards with at least 4Mb of VRAM are recommended. A colleague runs Hog3PC and Vision on the same machine with 2Gb of RAM, and all works fine. Of course the rule is to max out the machine with as much RAM as the machine can accept.

Derek, in your signature, don't you mean "Grammar EnforcemEnt Officer?"

Okay, next?
Hey again. You wanted next well here goes. I have been thrown in to an install at a church ,and when i got there I was informed that no one is aware of the initial setup procedure for some movers(8 Chauvet intimidator spot 2.0). The company is a sound company and I'm there only light guy and still pretty green. The desk is a frog but I am not sure which one yet. It will arrive tomorrow but I don't think that is going to be my problem. My hitch in the giddy up is going to be dmx addressing. I'm reading the user manual as i speak (ok maby when I'm done speaking.) so I should know the procedure for addressing the fixtures as long as i know what they are supposed to be.(hopefully). All I'm really asking is if any one has done an install and might know some thing to look out for it would be appreciated info. Thank you

Vid Fan
I maybe over my head..... let me get back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back