New to live streaming video production

Dane

Hello
I need some help deciding what gear is needed and what is best. I am more of a action sports rider than a video producer but I do have experience making two back country snowmobile videos. My knowledge is limited. But I am working with 3 other video companies up here that are much better at videography and post production than I am. I haven't made a "real" dvd in 2 years. I have instead been organizing snowmobile races for kids in the community, while also riding in the other videos being made up here in Alaska. Now that the racing organization is off and running I would like to combine my two interests. We have 1 major event at the end of each season. For this big finally event I would like to combine my 2 hobbies and step it up one notch by streaming it all live to the kids tent/lounge. We are a nonprofit club and the guys from the other companies will be donating their time. Non of us have any experience setting up for live streaming. 4 of the guys have shot live video and 2 have worked on the switchboard (black magic ATEM studio) but everything was all set up for them when they got there. The event will be in the winter 10-30 degrees. Most of the cables are going to lay on the surface and a few will be ran through a plastic pipe and buried.
We have some old Panasonic hvx 200 cameras and some newer cannon d6's. Im not sure on all the camera types these guys have. They have a lot of different ones including drones. My plan was to start by making them all shoot 1080p. I was thinking about using the black magic mini converter HDMI to SDI 4K.

QUESTION [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] IS THIS THE CORRECT BOX TO USE? (any suggestions on a better or easier to use model?)

Our venue is kind of large. Our longest run is going to be 1000'. I have seen a distance chart by BELDEN. It shows that the 7731a SDI cable can send 3Gb/s 390' but sends 1.5Gb/s 580'. Now I assume I'm going to need to boost the signal with a HD SDI-3G Amplifier/Repeater about every 350'-550'.

QUESTION [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] CAN I SEND 1080P 1000' THROUGH SDI CABLE without quality drop or relays?
IF SO, WHAT EXACT BRAND AND MODEL NUMBER? WHERE COULD IT BE PURCHASED?

QUESTION [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] HOW MANY GB/S DOES IT TAKE TO SEND 1080P?

QUESTION [HASHTAG]#4[/HASHTAG] IS THE BELDEN 7731A THE SDI CABLE I NEED? IS THERE SOMETHING CHEAPER THAT WILL DO THE SAME JOB?

QUESTION [HASHTAG]#5[/HASHTAG] SHOULD I BE USING THE HD SDI-3G Amplifier/Repeaters?

All of that equipment will be cold. Almost frozen. From here I am going to be sending the signal into a warm editing trailer. I plan to use the Black Magic ATEM studio switch board. I plan to convert 2 of the SDI signals back to hdmi using the black magic SDI to HDMI 4K mini converters because the Black Magic studio has 4 sdi and 4 hdmi inputs but you can only use 6 at a time. I'm going to run the the studio software on a mac book pro. I assume it has enough ram to do the job. I was thinking about getting 2- 3T G drives with thunder bolt connections for higher transfer speed. 1 hard drive is to capture all of the video coming in as well as the live feed going out. And the other is to back up the project. I've had a disaster before and wasn't backed up. We plan to clean up/re-edit the live feed after the event and put it on our web page in sections so the kids can down load them later and watch their races.

QUESTION [HASHTAG]#6[/HASHTAG] SHOULD I BE USING THE black magic SDI to HDMI 4K mini converters? ANYTHING BETTER OR ADEQUATE AND CHEAPER?

QUESTION [HASHTAG]#7[/HASHTAG] ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HARD DRIVES?

I'm going to use an HDMI compatible tv monitor plugged into the ATEM to view all six cameras and another monitor to view the live stream. The work will be done on the mac book pro. SDI cable out of the trailer and into the lounge. The signal will be split to each end of the room. Converted to HDMI and then into the big tv monitors.

QUESTION [HASHTAG]#8[/HASHTAG] AM I MISSING ANYTHING?
QUESTION [HASHTAG]#9[/HASHTAG] IS THERE ANY THING I SHOULD BE ASKING THAT I AM NOT?

any suggestion are appreciated. I know we are going to have fun, like kids playing with toys at christmas, but I'd to get the right equipment the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back