NEW TO THE BOOTH! And in need of PLENTY of help!

Hello All!

My name is Joshua and I'm an electronics lover and engineer. I'm a professional keyboardist with years of session work and touring under my belt, though I'm only 28 years old. Music is my first love and I'm always trying to evolve my abilities.

What has led me here is a parallel love of electronics and, as of late, lighting!

I currently tour with a Husband/Wife duo, RUSTY+JESSICA. Rusty + Jessica | HOMEPAGE

I the "tech guru" and band leader, and I'm currently trying to build a SIMPLE custom light show for them.

Below I've listed my ideas and really could use some help:

I am running our LIVE LOOPS (backing tracks/click track) on a Macbook Pro i7 2.0GHz Quad in REAPER (Music DAW like Pro-Tools)
I would like to output either MIDI or DMX from my laptop to a 4-Channel Dimmer Pack to control two Audience Blinders. I have built a giant arc that goes over the drummer which has multiple lights around it (single bulb high output cans).
I am thinking that there should be a way to use MARKERS or MIDI notes in my Loop/DAW session to trigger a prebuilt sequence, where when we reach a certain point in a song, the cursor cross a "marker" or "MIDI note" and triggers a lighting sequence, but I'm just not sure how to set it up.
I'm not opposed to DMX or MIDI, nor am I sure which one would be best to use, but imagine that even if I use MIDI outputs, at some point it'll have to convert to DMX format in order to be able to control a dimmer pack right? I'm guessing I need some sort of usb interface or something of that nature. And I'm also assuming that I'll need to use some sort of software to pre-program the sequences I'm trying to trigger. PLEASE HELP!!!!

So here's the summary of what I'm trying to do:

Output cue/trigger data from my session that will cue/trigger a dimming sequence on the dimmer pack. (hits/swells/fades etc - Nothing elaborate)
Since we play to click track, it would be nice to be able to make the lights blind at moments with BIG hits.

Any help...ANY! would be awesome! Thanks! Was thinking about getting DMXKING MICRO USB interface, and a cheap 600w/channel, 4 channel dimmer pack. I need info on every aspect...ESPECIALLY on WHAT GEAR to buy. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to The Booth! We are glad to have you here. Don't be shy jump in and join the conversation!

You'll see I answered your question in the lighting forum. In the future don't double post questions in multiple forums. Trust The Booth, someone will always find your question and answer it.

welcome to CB! im not big on lights right now but im sure i can help you in a few months once I get back into the swing of things. you should check out the lighting and electronics forums that can be found here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back