New toy i just got on e-bay

Oh' there was confetti cannon on the link? Would be challenging but I would rather make one of them with out having to buy one. That would be a good challenge.

I was reading about the Kliegl Fresnel with Brand New Lamp and thinking.... if only next year. For that price... if only next year. For that price... gotta be good... gotta be good even if I don't think I have one of them amongst many pre-Altman Fesnels in stock. Heck, that's below dealer price for the lamp. Buy the fixture, use the lamp and put away the fixture.

I want that Fresnel, can keep the lamp. For that price, I'm sure I have lots of lamps in the garage I have no use for to trade for the fixture but PayPal and I don't get along. Long story in me refusing to sign their upgrade and my credit card getting blocked forever.

Were not me outbidding you.

It's a DMX relay Controller Ship.

Hey Tim. You know that there is no error correction in DMX or talk back so if in the course of transmitting the same code 44,000 times a second you console makes a mistake and says "go"... which does happen... you will have fired your confetti like it or not.

Yep. Its better than the wireless remote option they tried one time. That thing freaked me out. We have run the confetti throwers on dimmers before to control them. But the dimmer pack we usually end up using with it only has 1.2k dimmers. All of our other racks have 2.4. But anyways hopefully all will go well LOL. There are other toys that we have that sometimes need to be fired off of relay. One day i would like to build a 48ch relay rack :D. For martigras balls there are usually really odd things you end up needing to control off of dmx.

Tim I think you may find that ACN is your solution and it will be both cheaper and easier to deal with than your DMX 48 ch relay rack.

Congrats on winning the auction, TimMiller. However, for my, and many others', thoughts on using this devices to control confetti cannons, see this thread.

They are confetti cannons they are confetti blowers. These things have a 15 amp motor that turns this big auger in the middle of this 55 gal barrel. Then it has a highspeed motor on the bottom that turns the opposite way and shoots out confetti. Its just like a deer feeder on crack. Confetti cannons we just run off of a solenoid that is connected to a push button.

never really looked at a snow thrower since i'm in tx. We dont have snow. When we do or even if it freezes everything around here shuts down and no school :D.

I vote for STEVETERRY, but if he doesn't do it within a week, I will, unless someone else want to. The 4pin scroller section is not quite accurate and ArtNet isn't mentioned. SteveB, Jmabray, Footer, Wolf, anyone?

It's a DMX relay Controller Ship.
Hey Tim. You know that there is no error correction in DMX or talk back so if in the course of transmitting the same code 44,000 times a second you console makes a mistake and says "go"... which does happen... you will have fired your confetti like it or not.

Hmm, good detail in me not reading about the confetti cannon...

Given it’s a relay based DMX controller to the confetti machine, wouldn’t it be more economical to buy replaceable relays for the dimmer pack dimmers that than could be used for other things such as lightning strikes, kabuki drops or mirror ball motors - assuming that they can be swapped out, or switch the dimmer to on/off mode?

Just a thought. This granted if such a thing were in much need, DMX relay would still be able to be made by me, I would just send the electronics parts out to the electronics shop and make the rest. Had DMX mirror ball motors years before American DJ came out with them - and that is for something that controls more than on/off or fire/no-fire. This as with various E-Stop linked controllers, Pantographs, Scissor Lifts etc. that are DMX based for control in still stating my point that I would be more interested in the antiques and build my own confetti cannon. Worked recently on some 10' dia. internally lit blow up balloons and Confetti Storm units, they both rely upon leaf blowers for the prime mover. This as opposed to the pneumatic tank based switch mechanism for most confetti cannons or other type of compressed gas actuators for say a T-Shirt cannon. The Pneumatic one time only is messy, the leaf blower type distributer is a disaster to clean up after. Still both in concept of how to do it fairly simple after the on/off switch mechanism is figured out.

On pressing the “Go” ... for such a one time only - than spent effect, believe we are in agreement about it at times better to have localized and very personal control over such a thing. That possibly is why I have never had to do one for DMX and other than consider over the years in making more, theorize making a new on/off power confetti cannon.

The refresh rate for DMX512 is updating all 512 channels 44 times per second, not 44,000.

Yea, 44 x 512 x 8 (bits) = 180,224 otherwise known as 180k. Add your sync blocks in there and you are up to the bandwidth limit for DMX, so 44 per second is correct. Someone should make the change if it hasn’t been changed already.

No DMX for confetti cannons or pyro? Darn, now I have to change out my whole nuclear launch control panel ;)

Yea, DMX is a down and dirty system with no error check, kind of like a one way intercom. Errors are common but don’t usually show up as the dimmers / movers get the correct signal 1/44th of a second later. It should never be used in any system where an error could cause a dangerous condition. (rigging, motor control, pyro, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back