New Toy, Oceana, HELP

Our director recently got us a new toy, called the Oceana, but the problem is, I'm not really sure how to get it to work properly. I can make it flicker on and off, but that's about it. It says its suppose to "Project a wave-like pattern of blue multi-rays due to an exclusive "S" shaped linear lamp rotating on a horizontal axis. Two-channel DMX-512 effect. DMX control over Blackout, Speed of rotation, Pre-programs, Sound-activation, and Strobing. Forty lenses total including 20 light blue and 20 dark blue." I'm pretty sure that it's in a "stand-alone" mode because when you walk past it or play music right next to it, it will rotate a bit, how do I control this? I have no idea how to program it or what to do with the DMX control. Can hook this up to a small light board or soft patch it into my tower?. This is a link to the product...and I'm still pretty lost HELP!!

IS this it?
proxy.php

Did you read the manual?
http://www.chauvetlighting.com/system/pdfs/DMX-355_UG.pdf

I read it a little, and it can be changed from Stand alone (and react to sound), Master/Slave and DMX control. Since you only have 1, you do not need to use the Master/Slave mode (this is used to keep them all synchronized)

If you want it to react to sounds better, just turn up the sound sensitivity knob. (under the DMX input and output)

It can hook up to your board, but the manual will explain it better than I can.

Schniapereli, thats it, and I read through the manual but I was still lost, the sensitivity is as far up as it can go, but the problem is I need it to keep on, when its in the stand alone mode, it clicks off every time the orchestra stops playing. My getto-rigged fix was to stick an earbud of an Ipod next to the jack, so it would keep on...it worked a bit better..but I need a final fix..

If you've got a DMX controller, pop that sucker in to DMX mode and use the two channels of DMX control. Should work fine. Just look up the parameters in the manual.

Schniapereli, thats it, and I read through the manual but I was still lost, the sensitivity is as far up as it can go, but the problem is I need it to keep on, when its in the stand alone mode, it clicks off every time the orchestra stops playing. My getto-rigged fix was to stick an earbud of an Ipod next to the jack, so it would keep on...it worked a bit better..but I need a final fix..

Yes, you have no choice (other than the iPod earphones...) but to run it from the board.

Ask if your teacher knows how to hook it up to your board, and if you have the right equipment.

The Oceana has only 2 channels :intensity, and rotation. You assign the first of these channels by using the switches on the back. Just choose which channel you want the thing to be operated on (you can just add one more than your last dimmer channel) and put the switches in such a way that when you add them all up, you get the number.

For example, if you want channel 97, you flick on 64, 32, and 1. (64+32+1=97)

The second channel will be, by default, the number after that. If you want to understand more about this, you can read the "DMX Primer" part of the manual, and also, a great site is dmx512-online/.

Hook it up to the board, and just use 2 submasters to control each channel. (or sometimes your board will let you use other controls, but if you don't have those, the submaster will work fine)

I am not sure exactly how to connect it to the board, (if you have to run XLR down from the booth, or whatever...) but somebody else here can tell you.

Absolutely you'll need a DMX controller for operation and control of the fixture. If your lighting control system is not DMX quite inexpensive controllers are available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back