New UPS or replacement battery?

A Listing from an NRTL (UL or ETL) is essential for a safe UPS. This is not an item to cobble together, especially since Listed complete units are available in a wide range of price points, capacities, and run times.

ST
I would argue that they are even cheaper than a cobbled-together solution if you look at the used market and are willing to replace the batteries. Maybe not the best option for mission-critical applications, but far better than a non-purpose-built solution.

This conversation is a little ironic to me at the moment. I have a large deep-cycle battery for our portable outdoor noise measurement rig. Hasn't seen a lot of use in the last year because it's not common we need to setup outdoor noise testing across multiple days. I've spent the better part of the day and last night trying to resurrect this battery with a charger and I think there's a pretty good chance it's fool's errand. I've gotten the voltage back up to at least 10v which involved tricking the charger with another 12V battery in parallel, though when I strip that battery away, the charger says there's no capacity and won't even begin to charge the big boy. It's been running on recondition mode for the better part of the day trying to undo the damage to the cells from being discharged for so long. Even if I manage to bring it back from the dead, my suspicion is that its runtime will be maybe half of what it used to be, which is fine for my immediate purposes but may need to be replaced before the next time I have to deploy this system.

Just goes to show that improvised solutions are not fit for mission-critical applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back