New Visualizaton software

Hello,

I am new to the forum and would like to introduce LightConverse, a new design and visualization platform which recently made its North American debut at LDI. There is a video which explains some of its features available at http://lightconverse.net/lc/about/ntb_dv_.avi (it is a fairly big file, about 70MB). There are also some sample renderings and a show video at http://atfull.com/lc_g.html. As this is a new product, we would appreciate any feedback or questions on it.

Thank you for your time,

Gord McVicar

Looks like a great piece of software. Few questions... the paperwork side does not look that well developed from the video, how well does the software output to lightwright or vectorworks? Can a WYSIWYG or vectorworks plot be imported and keep the fixtures strait without having to re-import fixtures. The rendering engine looks great, I was waiting for someone to put my video card to real work.

Well, here is a big downside to your software: Mac compatibility! (or lack thereof)

Speaking of new visualization software...Our resident Scenic designer showed me something he picked up the other day, it's called Turbo Sketch. He's using it with SketchUp. For Scenic purposes it's great you can set up lighting sources to make your sketchup drawings then render out into a photo realistic rendering. pretty cool, pretty quick. I'll report back after I've had a chance to play with it.

Thank you for your comments Footer.

The software can export 3D .dxf, .x files and .3dl files. It does not export directly to lightwright, however, it does printout a list of fixtures used in the design, dmx addresses, gel #’s etc. (future releases will have a newer layout). The paperwork side will also print out detailed plots in 2D or 3D.

A 3D set design, props, full theatre, etc., can be imported via 3D .dxf, or .x files (I believe the software you mentioned exports .dxf files). There is also a full object library within the program with primitive shapes, trussing, props, actors, etc (all customizable). It does not import fixtures from other programs. The highly realistic nature of our virtual fixtures and their parameters make it impossible to interface with other types of software fixtures. But there is a full fixture library included and you can also design your own fixtures from within the program.

And you are right about your video card being put to work. Because the software is based on a 3D games engine, it is highly reliant on the video card. With a good consumer-level card, nice frame rates can be attained.

For icewolf: yes, I agree...but it will run via BootCamp (if that's any consolation) :)

Gord McVicar

Just wanted to bump this thread. I'm using an older version of VW and was thinking about switching to a different software as my load doesn't quite justify getting VW 2013. Has anyone used light converse for drafting/paperwork?

View attachment Test_Plot.pdfView attachment Test_Plot2.pdfView attachment Test_Report.pdf

I use Light Converse for visualization, but use Vectorworks and Lightwright for plots and paperwork. I had never looked at the exporting capabilities of Light Converse, as I have never needed them, but figured I would give them a try on your behalf this morning... Attached are the default outputs for Plot and Report (CB didn't like the Excel file) from the Net-In version of Light Converse; I don't know if the different software versions have different printing/reporting capabilities or not. Please let me know if you have any questions or I can be of any further assistance.

Best,
John

Thanks for poking around for me. Does it give you any options for Fixture Keys, borders, title blocks and all those various little details that make plots look presentable? Likewise do they have a 2D output. I'm trying to figure out if it is a viable Vectorworks replacement for drafting. I do all my viz in MA3D so that aspect is less important to me.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it has any of those things. There is a 2d option, but it seems to just be a generic image for each fixture/type; not what I would call usable and nothing like what I can do in Vectorworks. It also, though I haven't looked closely, doesn't seem to include the truss/rig in the 2d view... They do have a forum that, while not busy, does seem to be pretty well monitored; perhaps someone there actually uses these features and can offer additional insight.

Best,
John

I just found out WYSWIG report is "only" $900, and it is tempting, does anyone have experience with how those plots look? Does report have the same subscription deal as normal/ anyone know how much that cost?

I am traveling today, so can't post any of my old plots from WYG, but they are definitely much better than than those I posted from Lightconverse. They are not as clean as what you get out of Vectorworks, but they are very usable. Everything WYG uses the subscription model now so that $900 just gets your foot in the door... I have a, now expired, Design dongle which I no longer use and would be willing to sell. I can't recall what the last version it is eligible for is, but feel free to PM me if you are interested and I can look in to it.

Best,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back