Conventional Fixtures New vs. Old 36° S4

While there are many changes in the ETC source 4 and it's various parts, The most signicant series of changes occured in 1997. The lens tubes went from four point mounting of elements to five. The 36* mounting points moved back about a half inch and there were tightening nuts and slots on both the top of the tube and the bottom. The lamp burner got the lamp retaining spring and the housing got a dedicated safety mounting eye. In 2001 there were several changes made, the most significant was the widening of the front of the lens tube to accomidate a larger 19* aspheric element, which I am told projects greater illumination. That particular change is Rev G.

I'll add a HUGE gripe about the changes made, I think with Rev. J.

Instead of the two gel slots being the same size, the front one was made deeper (nominally to accomodate glass accessories, etc). This means that tophats, scrollers, etc now DO NOT seat as well. The gel clip does not extend as far as the front of the front slot, so to capture the frame on a scroller (for example) one has to push the scroller toward the light. It really is a PITA.

*sigh*

--Sean

When I was at LDI this last time, I had quite a conversation with the instrument guy from ETC. He was quite excited about the front gel frame holder being larger. He said that it was built to accomadate the "Broadway shows" because of some special gel they use. I am not sure, but I think that he was refering to dichroics. In any case I have not seen any of the rev Js yet, as I buy older S4s off ebay, for budgetary reasons.

I wonder if that was tomlittrel, he's our CB member who I believe doubles as the ETC Fixture Manager?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back