Newb question

chadgreen100

As a parent volunteer I’ve been asked to attach an already built plywood 2D tree for a ballet theater performance. We will have three total and one is already done using a jack on a furniture dolly from harbor freight.
Q1. Is the dolly now technically called a wagon? Is there a different term?
Q2. Is there a better/best/frugal (buy once cry once) way to mobilize the trees?

Thanks

As a parent volunteer I’ve been asked to attach an already built plywood 2D tree for a ballet theater performance. We will have three total and one is already done using a jack on a furniture dolly from harbor freight.
Q1. Is the dolly now technically called a wagon? Is there a different term?
Q2. Is there a better/best/frugal (buy once cry once) way to mobilize the trees?

Thanks
Howdy! Welcome aboard!
I believe, technically, it would be called a Wagon. since it's would have scenery attached to it. With Automated scenery there are a TON of different names for different parts.
Success using a dolly that size is going to depend on how tall the trees are, how heavy they are, and how much weight you can get stacked on the wagon. I think I would put a piece of Ply on top of the dolly, set the tree on the edge of the Dolly use a piece of Hog-trough to secure the tree to the dolly, add your Jack and your weights.

I’m a fellow parent volunteer and while I’ve not mobilized a Christmas tree, I have done the mirrors for Matilda and some 10’ periaktoi.
Instead of repurposing a furniture dolly, consider a triangle of 3/4 plywood. I’d make the side length of the triangle the same as the tree width. Use the Hog-trough and jack mentioned above.
My reasoning behind the triangle is that it won’t have two almost invisible corners that stick out at the rear. I’ve heard that ballet dancers can trip on tape. 😉. Also, three wheels on an uneven stage won’t rock like four might and I kinda think it is harder to tip over.
For wheels, I like the translucent blueish casters from Harbor Freight. They roll nicely without too much noise.
I use saddle type sand bags from Amazon. The pictures show them hanging from a tripod to keep it steady. Mine came with ziplock bags which work very well to keep the sand inside the weight and off the stage. I use 2 in the base of the 10’ peri to keep them upright. It also makes them look a bit more substantial as they roll instead of wobbling and bouncing along.

Michael

I’m a fellow parent volunteer and while I’ve not mobilized a Christmas tree, I have done the mirrors for Matilda and some 10’ periaktoi.
Instead of repurposing a furniture dolly, consider a triangle of 3/4 plywood. I’d make the side length of the triangle the same as the tree width. Use the Hog-trough and jack mentioned above.
My reasoning behind the triangle is that it won’t have two almost invisible corners that stick out at the rear. I’ve heard that ballet dancers can trip on tape. 😉. Also, three wheels on an uneven stage won’t rock like four might and I kinda think it is harder to tip over.
For wheels, I like the translucent blueish casters from Harbor Freight. They roll nicely without too much noise.
I use saddle type sand bags from Amazon. The pictures show them hanging from a tripod to keep it steady. Mine came with ziplock bags which work very well to keep the sand inside the weight and off the stage. I use 2 in the base of the 10’ peri to keep them upright. It also makes them look a bit more substantial as they roll instead of wobbling and bouncing along.

Michael
Thanks for the input!

Welcome @chadgreen100 it sounds like we have answered your question. Stick around and ask more questions, we are happy to help. Also post pictures with your future questions it'll help you get even more detailed responses.

As for the question of what is the correct term I would say the answer is going to be regional. There are many terms like that which don't have a correct answer and it depends on where you are in the world and who trained you. Is it Gafftape, Gaffa Tape, Gaffer's Tape, Gaffertape? All depends on where you are.

Michael
Any chance you could leave Amazon and HF links for the products you mention?

I can add links, I was being lazy when I typed the above while laying in bed.

These are the sand bags. Don't use the baby carabiners to lift or hold anything over head. They are intended to hold the weight as shown on a tripod.

For the 10’ peri, I cut up some cheap ratchet straps and screwed them to the base so that the weights are held in place when assembling the peri out its side. This also keeps the weight from shifting during use which can cause a 10’ tall object to make a big noise when it falls over. I’ve also used construction screws and fender washers to anchor the weights.

The Harbor Freight casters come in locking and non locking. I use all non locking to keep things less complicated.
If they are out of the non locking version, you can use the locking version and pry the locking mechanism off. It does add to the cost but lowers the anxiety by letting get the wheels I need in one trip.

I should also mention that it would be a good idea to clip off or round the points of the triangle base, especially the rear point. They are ankle high. My mantra is no crying children.

Michael

I can add links, I was being lazy when I typed the above while laying in bed.

These are the sand bags. Don't use the baby carabiners to lift or hold anything over head. They are intended to hold the weight as shown on a tripod.

For the 10’ peri, I cut up some cheap ratchet straps and screwed them to the base so that the weights are held in place when assembling the peri out its side. This also keeps the weight from shifting during use which can cause a 10’ tall object to make a big noise when it falls over. I’ve also used construction screws and fender washers to anchor the weights.

The Harbor Freight casters come in locking and non locking. I use all non locking to keep things less complicated.
If they are out of the non locking version, you can use the locking version and pry the locking mechanism off. It does add to the cost but lowers the anxiety by letting get the wheels I need in one trip.

I should also mention that it would be a good idea to clip off or round the points of the triangle base, especially the rear point. They are ankle high. My mantra is no crying children.

Michael
Thanks. You mentioned to make the one triangle side the width of the tree, did you mean the trunk or the branches?

I would use an equilateral triangle with a side length equal to or slightly less than the full width of the tree. Unless that makes it huge compared to the tree. What I mean by that is for a “standard” Christmas pine or fir, I’d make the base close to the width of the widest part of the tree. A Charlie Brown tree might get away with a narrower base while a very tall tree would want the widest base you can get away with. Keep in mind you want to keep the center of gravity low and as close to the center of the base as you can get. Search for “stability pyramid”. If the CG (Center of Gravity) gets outside the triangle, it will tip over.

An isosceles triangle with the trunk on the short side could work, and it would take up less space but I’m not sure my ocd could cope with it. 😉

Michael

Thanks, i thought that's what you were describing. The one Tree that I saw was about 3-4ft wide for the branches but the trunk was about the width of a 2x4. So, at first read to your suggestion I'm trying to picture a 3' equilateral triangle not looking obnoxious, but I guess that would be more deck to bring the CG to a more ideal position.

Thanks, i thought that's what you were describing. The one Tree that I saw was about 3-4ft wide for the branches but the trunk was about the width of a 2x4. So, at first read to your suggestion I'm trying to picture a 3' equilateral triangle not looking obnoxious, but I guess that would be more deck to bring the CG to a more ideal position.
You can lower the COG easily by adding weight to the base. Quite tall unstable items can be made stable this way.
Also remember a standard sheet of material is 4ft wide so making a triangle from a sheet of material would not be hard.
Regards
Geoff

Playin' with fire when you go to harbor freight. Brings back memories of me frantically crawling under the scenery before a scene change with a can of WD-40 to get that g**d***f****** caster moving again.

Playin' with fire when you go to harbor freight. Brings back memories of me frantically crawling under the scenery before a scene change with a can of WD-40 to get that g**d***f****** caster moving again.
Triflow is my preferred hair caught in the caster bearing lube. We had four or five rolling bits of scenery for the mermaids to sit on while little fish pushed them around the stage. Five casters on each. Having an 8 year old push 100 plus pounds of plaster, mdf and mermaid required constant attention to the casters. I put my leatherman to good use pulling hair and string out of the bearings almost every night.

Michael

As an aside, if you notice a word or phrase in a post underlined with a dotted line, that’s a link to a definition. I’ve found them to be helpful.

As an example, stage. I didn’t add the link, it’s automatic.

Michael

Don't go cheap on casters. Quality 3" casters with actual bearings are about $15 each but critical for having smooth rolling quiet set pieces. Keep them in good shape and they will last forever.

Don't go cheap on casters. Quality 3" casters with actual bearings are about $15 each but critical for having smooth rolling quiet set pieces. Keep them in good shape and they will last forever.
$15 for swivels or rigids??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back