newspapers and other props

gpq

We're doing a show which takes place very specifically on Sept. 29, 1957- the day of the last baseball games the Dodgers and the Giants played in New York. How can I get my hands on a facsimile of that day's newspapers- the Herald Tribune or the Daily Mail (not the Times)?

Also, what was the state of packaging in plastic in the late 1950's. Did pretzels come in plastic bags?

Thanks

couldn't find either of those two papers but this is what a quick google search brought up, a couple of good examples of period papers covering those teams.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/files/1957_1007_cover.JPG LA times with a story about the move
proxy.php

front page of the daily news

I would say just get in photoshop or a similar program, and mock up a quick cover with a nice big headline for whatever you need.

Without sounding like an ad I'd tell you to keep your eyes on the classifieds here. Someone is going to be posting "Custom Newspaper printing services" relativly soon.

There was no clear plastic in the late 50's the packaging would have been Cellophane, which is actually a plant-based product < cellulouse>. A thin, wrapping acetate like what is used on flowers sometimes would be a decent facsimilie. It was very crinkly and tended to crack or break.

...Also, what was the state of packaging in plastic in the late 1950's. Did pretzels come in plastic bags?
Cellophane, as Van said, or waxed paper-like glassine bags. That's the way my soft pretzels and cookies (2 for 5¢, IIRC) used to come in elementary school. Pretzel Days were such a treat!:)

Why not the NY Times?

There were probably 8 - 10 daily newspapers in NYC at that time. Chicago had 6.

My guess is if you contacted the archives of the Times or the Post (are they still printing?) they'd be able to provide at least the front pages. From that you could get newsprint and make as many copies as you needed.

A library microfiche? Do they still exist?! Not sure if you can get copies of them though. I also know that the NY Times put out a CD with all their front pages from god knows when through to today on it as PDFs - we used it on a production of Anything Goes to get some accurate papers. Other papers may have done too - worth a look maybe. I think we got the Times one from our local library (and I'm talking Christchurch, New Zealand so you should be able to find it in the States!!).

Why not the NY Times?

There were probably 8 - 10 daily newspapers in NYC at that time. Chicago had 6.

My guess is if you contacted the archives of the Times or the Post (are they still printing?) they'd be able to provide at least the front pages. From that you could get newsprint and make as many copies as you needed.

Well, the character with the paper is not the type to read the Times. but all the posts have been really helpful. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back