Nifty idea

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
I saw a show at a local theatre over the weekend that used a few 14" scoops as house lights, not uncommon. However, the method in which the gelled the scoop was unique. They took some sheets of the plastic sheet material used to diffuse the light from tubular fluorescent drop ceiling fixtures, cut it into squares and put it into the gel frame holder on the scoops. They looked to have been there for quite some time, so I assume heat hasn't been an issue in their case. I liked the look as a cheap way to "dress up" scoops as house lights.

That plastic stuff is really neat. It washes and difuses the light very well. Personnally i use it on color blasts, the cb12's have a pretty narow beam soit has a really nice effect when aded to them.

The only thing I'd worry about is the heat. Scoops are reflecting all that heat from the likely 1kW lamp out the front right into that plastic sheet that is probably not rated to withstand very much heat. Although if they have had them in there for a while, it may not be a problem. Personally I would use sheets of frost/diffusion.

The heat concerned me too, but they looked to have been in there a while, and the scoops also looked to be non-halogen. I'll have to try this on my own some time, but hey, if freezer bags work in some followspots, why not this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back