Night Club Console Layout--How do you like to layout your console?

Hey folks, I'm in need of some advice. Here's the situation: I have been tasked with setting up a GrandMA2 ultra light (with two external touch screen monitors) for a lighting rig in a night club. The club has about 25 Robe Pointes, 16 Elation E Spots, 21 Snipers, 25 Protron Strobes, and 8 Atomic Strobes. The console will also be triggering an LED chandelier via Madrix and a video wall via Resolume 4.

I will not be running the console day to day (that will be left to an operator who isn't an experienced programmer) so I'm trying to simplify and condense everything as much as possible. I have experience working on the MA2, but most of that is in events like conferences, dinners, weddings, rock shows, theater, etc. This is my first night club, and it's my first time setting up a console for someone else to program long term.

Here's the issue I'm having. There are a lot of lights, and they can all do a lot of things. Dimmer chases, color sequences, gobo sequences, some by fixture system, some that affect all fixtures, not to mention all the effects...anyway, it's a lot of stuff. If I were the person running the console I wouldn't have a problem doing things live, switching views and fader/button pages, grabbing and live editing effects, etc, but since the operator isn't able to do that I have to make it as simple as possible.

What I'm wondering is, for those of you with night club experience, what are the most important things to have fader and button access to the fastest and at all times? Obviously having a fader for each fixture system with a flash and black button attached, but beyond that, I'm having difficulty prioritizing what should go where.

Thoughts?

Night clubs are about flash and trash in my opinion. Make as many scenes that the external touch screens will fit. Slow strobe , medium and fast. General washes. With the he ability the make things move, rotate, and gobo on top of that wash.

If you want to make it simple, then I would just set it up so that whoever operates it just touches what they want and it happens.

The one thing that I don't like though is when the lights move towards the tables or the bar and blind the people sitting down and getting a drink.

First off I'm a ChamSys guy so I don't know exactly what things are called on that desk. When doing clubs I will record several pages of cue stacks with each page having a base color but always use page 1 for intensities of the lights with a a fader per group and use the execute page with all the palette stuff like groups, couple different intensities, colors, gobos, positions, and FX so I can use the one page to quickly build and control all the parameters of the lights and not having to move around screens unless I want to.

I was a resident at a couple clubs running this way and other people could pick it up with relative ease. If you take the time to lay out the execute page in programming logic order as you move down the page (fixture, color, gobo, position, FX, intensity) then it tends to make learning easier. Yes, I know intensity last isn't the norm but I do it that way so the light parameters are set first so the crowd doesn't see all the changes unless you want them to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back