Nightowl Stage Lighting

I've see similar addressing schemes on low end fixtures. Some use a number rather than a letter, so a 3xxx is one mode and 4xxx, 5xxx and so forth are others. A good manual makes it a bit clearer but it's still a bit of a twist the first time around.

Thanks for following up with this. If you happen to take video, I'd be very curious to see how the fixtures perform in the bottom 25% of their output range. Do things stay smooth and consistent enough for theater use or do the colors start dropping out or falling apart? If you don't mind elaborating, what is the nature of damage to your one unit needing return? Finally, who is DLG Stage Lighting? Sorry for all the questions, but great job on the write-up so far!

Ok; Here are some videos that focus on dimming. I apologize, but I'm trying to do this at 11:30pm after a long day of spacing rehearsals and scenic preparation, and I was sitting at the console because I let all of my crew leave for the day before I could do this. The trim heights are at 24 feet, and I'm likely 160' away from the stage. This is shooting onto black Harlequin Reversible marley. I think it clearly makes the point I'm trying to demonstrate, however. If you have the volume on, you can hear the clicking of the go button (if you want to get particular about start times, etc). The little red lights on either side of the videos are exit signs in the dark. I apologize that this is from my iPhone, but it's all I've got currently to record with.

This video shows ETC Pars with R26 cuts (this is what's up for a show I'm getting on it's feet right now) fading up over 12 seconds, and then back down. Immediately following that are the NightOwl LED Pars programmed to R26 in an ETC Ion console. There are 8 of each instrument in the air. I just strapped on the LED pars today to try to get something for you guys before I get insanely busy with a dance production that is this weekend. They are not focused, I put them next to the par systems in my plot and pointed them in the same direction and flew them out. Again, I will mention that these LED pars were ordered with the wide flood equivalancy lenses in the LED. The Pars have wide flood lenses.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This video shows a single ETC par STAGE RIGHT with R26, and a single Nightowl LED par STAGE LEFT programmed to R26 in the console. This is set over a 10 second fade.

I want to make mention; These two colors are identical. I can't believe how great the reds match up with no adjustment on the console whatsoever. Really great! I tried matching a few other colors (just by using the color picker gel menu) and they are either REALLY close or dead nuts on. It's really great, ESPECIALLY for the price point of this instrument.

I will have more about color matching and dimming likely after this weekend is over. I will try to make it a bit more apparent about how the colors line up (I'll try to shoot them at the CYC side by side.

Last edited:
Ok All - here is the last bit of information I am going to include:

Here are some closer various color dimming to show how these instruments hold their color.

I only had my iRFR app with me to change colors so I was sneaking the instrument up and down with some various colors I knew would be mixing 2 or 3 different diodes at a time. I would set the color roughly from the color picker on the app; then {sneak} [at] {full} {enter} ; after that was complete I'd let it set for a few seconds and then {sneak} {out} and it would take it back down.

As you can see they have a few issues but really only when it gets down to below 6% in most accounts.

My overall thoughts:

In considering the pricing and overall quality of these instruments I must say that I would recommend them to my friends who are looking for an alternative to pricier ETC color source pars. As a quick review; acceptable theatrical dimming, great color abilities, acceptable fan noise levels for theatrical use, and they do come with the basic features of sound activation; strobe effects, and the UV light is quite spectacular. All of this for $250 a piece (in the quantity I bought, and truly counting the flight cases as free). The customer service is there; I had an issue with an instrument clearly damaged from shipping and it was dispatched and is being repaired/replaced and sent back to me at no cost to me; in a timely manner. Scott and Jenny have been excellent, I want to publicly thank you guys for everything ; Start to finish.

So guys - there you have it. I'd also like to offer that if anyone is in the Erie, PA area and would like to see these things first hand feel free to message me and we can arrange a time. I'd be more than happy to unleash you on them for an hour or so, but I can promise you for the price you can't go wrong with these.

As you can see they have a few issues but really only when it gets down to below 6% in most accounts.

Thanks for sharing! So is it just my computer, or do these seem to have a bit of flicker, flashing, and what looks to be slightly choppy response to them?

The customer service is there; I had an issue with an instrument clearly damaged from shipping and it was dispatched and is being repaired/replaced and sent back to me at no cost to me; in a timely manner.

Have you gotten the defective fixture sent back yet or replaced, and if so, what was the total turnaround time?

Thanks for sharing! So is it just my computer, or do these seem to have a bit of flicker, flashing, and what looks to be slightly choppy response to them?

Have you gotten the defective fixture sent back yet or replaced, and if so, what was the total turnaround time?

Looked steppy while playing on my iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back