No Clue What I'm Doing

MsKraft

Hello everyone! I was hoping that I would stumble upon some sort of forum that might be able to help me as I try and learn the field of lighting. I got the job of figuring out our new system because I am the only techie type person involved with anything that might need to be lit up. We just got a Rendition 48/96 for our high school auditorium, and even though most of what I've read is bad, it is indeed a step up from what we had. Our electrician did an amazing job of keeping it somewhat functional for a very long time. Last year we were only able to turn groups of lights on and off and we had ghost lights that turned themselves on in the house. Some of the stage lights also did what they wanted when they wanted as well. It was really strange. Our prayers were always that my mom (former light director) would be able to get out of the loft before a major fire started.

Here is my problem. No one has ever used a system like this to control the lights. The most we did before was dim groups of lights at certain parts and throw on some color. This new board is a whole new world and one I really know nothing about. The man who came to train us on the board knew nothing. The little bits I did understand in the manual were not what he told us to do. Right now I can set submasters and make cues. I can't get the cues off however. If there is anyone out there who can either help me with the Rendition or just in general what I need to be looking to do to set up our school musical, I would be forever grateful. We'd like to be able to set up "scenes" and then have "cues" within the scenes? Is this right? See, I'm lost!

Thanks for anyone who is willing to help me out! I really appreciate it!

Humm. Need someone who can give you hands on training. By "I can't get the cues off" do you mean that you cannot get them to execute, or you can't end them in a blackout? If the second half, you need to write a blackout cue and put it in the stack.

I agree that you are going to need real training. It's very hard to come into a manual for a board like that and figure out basic stuff. I suggest that you contact the manufacturer through their support website and ask if there's someone reasonably local who can train you if the dealer who sold you the system can't do it. Not saying it should be cost-free, but IMO the vendor and manufacturer have at least some responsibility to point you to someone who can get you at least basically up to speed on their gear.

Also, where are you located? Although I'm guessing A, A was just random for your location; if those As equaled Auburn, Alabama I'd be more than happy to come out and help. I'm not familiar with the Rendition however I have used other Lehigh products. As John stated, we need a little more information to help out. If it's not what he is saying, did you even do "Record" when setting cues? It doesn't appear as though this is a tracking console unless you tell it to track by my quick glance at the manual but in order to take a channel out, you might have to type in the channel number @ 00 to get something to go off before recording that next cue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back