No Phantom Power

Foxinabox10

I just did some wiring today and came up with one problem. I'm hooking up an area mic as a permanent mic and so I make an XLR cable to make it reach where it connects. The problem is that all I get is fuzz. If I plug a microphone that doesn't need phantom power into the cord, it works amazing, perfectly clear and everything. When I plug this area mic to another cable, it works fine. So, I assume my problem is that my cable isn't transferring phantom power correctly. I can't find out what's wrong, so what would cause this? I'm using Canare L-4E6AT Permanent Installation Star Quad cable with Neutrik NC3FX and NC3MX connectors.

This may sound like a really stupid question but.... Is your phantom power actually on? Most boards require that you turn it on, it isn't automatic. However, that may not be the case, just a thought.

Quad star cable---very easy to cross wire that kind of cable and mix up a pin configuration.. Check your connections...

-w

I would definitely check the status of Phanton Power on your board. If you don't have phantom power available (a rare situation), then you can get a phantom power box to pass the cable thru in between the board and the mike.

The phantom power is on for the board and, once again, the mic works with a different cable and same board. The cable is wired shield to pin 1, blue to pin 2, and white to pin 3. This is right, correct? There are two whites and two blues, so you simply twist the wire together and solder both of them, right?

Foxinabox10 said:
The phantom power is on for the board and, once again, the mic works with a different cable and same board. The cable is wired shield to pin 1, blue to pin 2, and white to pin 3. This is right, correct? There are two whites and two blues, so you simply twist the wire together and solder both of them, right?

Hiya,
It does not matter which color goes to which pin as long as it is the same on both ends. ;) Few things to check out and report back...

Have you tried different cables on the same mixer CHANNEL, and vica versa (move the problem cable to another channel)? This will eliminate the channel as a problem for delivering phantom. Sounds pretty basic and you may have done this--but I have to ask, as some folks willl test another mic cable and problem on another channel and it works fine, and still have problems on the original channel without testing the channel they want to use.

Another thing to check--take a Volt/OHM meter and check that you are getting 48V DC voltage passing thru the cable... (or whatever your phantom voltage output is at the input source--phantom power can vary in range from console to console--but the voltage should be the same at the channel and at the end of the cable.) Meter this at the channel input, then connect the cable in question and then meter the voltage again at the end of the cable. If you get less or you have different voltage or leaks on the connector chassis--somewhere you have a drain or short in the cable.

Pin 1---Ok is this a open braided shield? In other words--exposed in a loose weave around the rest of the cable? Occasionally with QUAD star--you run into the issue where the ground braid does not make good contact or is frayed too much in making it into a "wire"--or only partial contact is made. Depending on the source of your phantom power, this can effect its performance. (even tho Phantom typically uses pins 2 and 3--it also rely's on the ground to be intact completely and the voltage supplied is relative to the ground). Its not common as a problem, but can happen on home made cables with quad star with phantom power.

My feeling still is to check your connections--make sure each wire is set to the same pin on each side (a cable tester or continuity tester will help with this). Also check that each pin does not cross to other pins or the chassis of the connector.. Its very easy with Quad star to twist the wrong pairs together or not join the two wires completely into a single pair or for half of the piar to break off one cable etc--and then you have problems...or wire pairs to the wrong pin from the other end or even mix up pairs entirely (yes I've seen red and black get twisted together--and folks swear they thought they did both red and both black)... It happens.....

-w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back