Noise Cancellation

Crewguy7

This may sound really stupid but the idea popped into my head throughout my school's variety show last year. Seeing as Cyberlights are a fairly loud instrument, i was wondering if it was possible to cancel their noise using a technology similar to those in those in the Bose headphones?

Crewguy7 said:
This may sound really stupid but the idea popped into my head throughout my school's variety show last year. Seeing as Cyberlights are a fairly loud instrument, i was wondering if it was possible to cancel their noise using a technology similar to those in those in the Bose headphones?

Hiya,
while noise cancellation and sound cancellation is in general an easy thing to do, its more simpler to do with speakers as opposed to "mechanical" noise such as made by Cybers. In theory--the only way I could see you doing something like this to cancel the noise would be to mic the cyberlight, and then hang a speaker next to the Cyberlight and run its mechanical noise back thru the speaker out of phase. In theory it should lessen the actual noise...but understand that is a long LONG shot of a theory as you are trying to do this in an uncontrolled or reflective environment<g>.
FWIW, Sound cancellation is primarily an occurance when the same sound is coupled together out of phase of each other. or when the time-reference is offset from the original source. The bose headphones do something similar to the theory I stated above--they have built in microphones that "listen" to the outside noise and then process such sounds usually out of phase to "cancel" out the background noise that are heard in the headphones. While I'm sure it works to some degree, the environment is contained inside the headphones, where as with the theory I posted above would have to be done on a much larger scale in an un-contained environment and therefore would be most difficult to completely achieve.

Cheers!
wolf

I seem to recall an article in Entertainment Design about something like this. Twas within the last year. Apparently it does work--never tried it personally. Anybody else remember reading it? I seem to remember that someone did this for a show on the east coast (record the sound of inteligent instruments, that is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back