Nomad as backup machine for Ion

jtweigandt

We have an ion currently .. not sure of age right now, but it's Win7 based with 2 ethernet outputs. Currently everything we do is straight to dmx... through an opto isolator and out to the rig.
Have thought over the years might be nice to have Nomad as a backup in case we ever walk in on show day, and the board is belly up. Just when I'm ready to pull the trigger.. you cant get the gadget2 to save your soul due to the supply chain.

So.. It looks in the specs that you CAN output to artnet with Nomad.. but wanting someone to confirm this before taking the plunge. So we could in theory output artnet.. and have the converter right there in the booth and physically switch the dmx cables in a pinch?

I tried a couple of years ago to get approval on the education license, but was denied, even though we routinely have high school and college age come through and cut their teeth here. If it will work without the gadget, I may just take the plunge at full fare.

We have an ion currently .. not sure of age right now, but it's Win7 based with 2 ethernet outputs. Currently everything we do is straight to dmx... through an opto isolator and out to the rig.
Have thought over the years might be nice to have Nomad as a backup in case we ever walk in on show day, and the board is belly up. Just when I'm ready to pull the trigger.. you cant get the gadget2 to save your soul due to the supply chain.

So.. It looks in the specs that you CAN output to artnet with Nomad.. but wanting someone to confirm this before taking the plunge. So we could in theory output artnet.. and have the converter right there in the booth and physically switch the dmx cables in a pinch?

I tried a couple of years ago to get approval on the education license, but was denied, even though we routinely have high school and college age come through and cut their teeth here. If it will work without the gadget, I may just take the plunge at full fare.

You shouldn't need to switch DMX cables. If it's a networked device converting artnet to DMX, the backup will seamlessly take over (if configured to do so) and the output device will start listening to it instead. The only reason you'd need to swap DMX would be if the artnet node died.

And as a follow up.. when you have the license/dongle I'm assuming that Nomad still doesn't know how to talk to the Enttec usb pro that we already had for another piece of pc software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back