Nomad on linux

jtweigandt

Got a message from a young crew member who was invited to do lights for a semi local high school, and wanted to learn their etc board.
I told him about Nomad for practice/learning at home. I hadn't dusted it off lately, so I downloaded the latest, and started it up under a recent version of Wine on my linux desktop.. FLAWLESS... yay... Dual monitor even. I was thinking of springing for the gadget and license anyway for a windows pc backup option in case of fried board etc. Now I'm going to have to see if it will actually output too..

But fun possibility. it would actually be possible to put a linux install on a thumb drive and boot a bunch of chrome books if one had a classroom full of students who didn't have actual macs or pc's

I also have duet display software for my ipad makes the ipad into a pc monitor with touchscreen capability .. gonna try it at home on the pc for a touchscreen fader wing.

Some of us just have to try the impossible once in a while. Whodathunk

Have you tried doing a Linux boot on school Chromebooks? With all the restrictions they have, I would have assumed that would be blocked... though I suppose that's also the sort of thing that could vary according to the skills/policies of each district's IT department...

Was more thinking out loud there... Of course I have the skills to serve up multiple linux desktops from a central machine via a web browser zero client interface.. No software install on the client at all. Just chrome.. type in the address of the server and go. Could even set up a wifi router and bypass the central authority all together. So my hypothetical heads of mush will be served their practice lighting desk no matter what. :cool: :) Just tried it out. Yeah I'm that geek.. the one on the left. Here it is.. Nomad under linux via a zero config firefox session.
nomad.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back