North West Lighting FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelightguy87

Home Page

I'm looking for opinions and reviews of the NW Lighting FX Pass Spot 575 Riser
At just over $1300 Its just too good to be true. I'm almost afraid to buy one and see for myself. I've already talked to one person that loves them, but I need another opinion. I've read and reread the manuals, the gobos seem tacky, but its got a lot under the trunk but what quality. I've bought a few lights because they were cheap and well, they were cheap in every way. I don't want to make that mistake again.

There is a company out of china (that will remain nameless, yet they do have name ;) that manufactuers all of this stuff that you see. Then they just buy the decals and stick their own name on it. You can check out a company called g-lights, you will notice the same thing. They all look like knockoff mac's.

Well let's put it this way:

Martin, HES, and VL are here

Elation is here

Chauvet is here

AMDJ is here

Hmm that's odd... I can't seem to find NW Lighting FX on the chart.

Maybe down here...

no.

Don't waste your money on these generic brand POS lights. Spend a little more and get a name brand one. You'll be a lot happier in the long run. Check out the new Martin SmartMAC. It doesn't cost much more and if it craps out on you, there's plenty of places to get it fixed.

Not knocking a relatively little known private labeled fixture BUT....

Mike, you may find parts and service are easier to obtain with an instrument supported by local dealers.

You know whats nice about those fixtures... they just happen to use the exact same profile as a mac2k.... oh and you open it up and it looks the same.... humm.... I wonder why.....

maybe because it is a Mac2k with parts that are held together with super glue....

If your lighting a club and don't care if you lose a fixture, sure these will work. Not the most ethical thing to do, but they will work, and when the don't the cracked out people on the dance floor won't care. Don't do anything real with these, ever. I would be scared to even fly them, who knows what could fall off.

And be careful with "intelligent" lights because these knockoff brands can sometimes not be very intelligent. I did an install last month that included a couple knockoffs. It took 3 hours to try and make profiles only to find out that the problem was not mechanical or with my programming, but a software issue in the light. And do you really think the company they were bought from really cared about fixing them? Nope. I had to tell the client to scrap them.

Hey, gafftaper, why don't you drive over to
NW Lighting FX

10803 Kent-Kangley Rd Ste 202
Kent, Washington 98030,
and ask to tour their factory?

thelightguy87, you'd be better off purchasing ten year old Martin MAC500s for about the same price. A well-known moving light and production company recently came in and brought with them some Osiris brand fixtures. They seemed proud of them, until 2 out of 12 malfunctioned during the show, on national TV.

"If it sounds too good to be true...":(

At work the other day we got the massive neo-neon catalog, it was a blast to flip through and see all the different brands, just with out lables. They claim to be the oem makers for that gear and not making knockoffs, I wonder just how true that claim is....

Neo-Neon is the OEM for a huge amount of the stuff coming from China. From what I've heard, they do OEM for Elation, ADJ, and Chauvet.

Neo-Neon is the OEM for a huge amount of the stuff coming from China. From what I've heard, they do OEM for Elation, ADJ, and Chauvet.

They're the ones with the 100 watt LED.

Even if they are doing OEM for Elation and Chauvet, the benefit to those companies is that they have ~reasonable~ tech support. When you buy direct it can be a nightmare if something goes wrong.

(Of course, there goes my American side again! I keep forgetting that over in China there really is only one manufacturer.)

Bill recently posted about becoming a Neo Neon dealer.

Bill do you know anything about them being OEM not knockoffs?

I don't know if this is the manufacturer for NWFX, but I inquired as purely curiosity. Company is "Beyond Lighting", from China of course, here is their website. BEYOND INTERNATIONAL HOLDINGS LTD | GUANGZHOU FREEHOPE LIGHTING EQUIPMENTS FACTORY

They don't list prices there, but show pictures and descriptions of their equipment. I did notice somewhere something about an OEM. And they have CE, and Iso 9001, CCC, and various other certifications. I don't know if I would trust them still. There prices are WAY less than the NWFX and seem like the same fixtures.

One of the reasons I would even think of getting equipment from these manufacturers is because, I don't tend to fly my equipment. My conventional lighting tends to go on DJ Lighting stands, I have additional stands for the scanners i own. (High End Trackspots and Trackspot 2's) So any moving head fixtures would go on the floor. I am slightly concerned about thhe software put into the fixtures, and cheap wiring that you might find. But frankly from what I've seen, the difference between these guys and AMDJ and Elation and Chauvet is, the distributors will service, or provide some support If in that situation, and who knows if they'll even cover it. I have enough connections that if I did get lights from the manufacturer, and I needed to work on them, I have people I could go to that would not only want to work on them because they are curious about the fixtures anyways, but like pulling these things apart.

I'm heavily contemplating buying 2 fixtures with a roadcase and see how they are. I also noticed that the LED Par 64's i bought are sold by them for half of what I paid. now add shipping and who knows how close it is, but I'm definetly interested in their LED fixtures.

I'm very weary about their consoles. The one they call Stone 2048, seems a hell of a lot like the Avolite Pearl. That alone makes me think this company is more about knockoffs than OEM.

Hey Mike, I suggest you give "BillESC" a PM or better yet call him (you can find his phone number in his signature or on his profile page). Did you see this thread? He just became a Neo-Neon dealer. He also deals in I think Elation and Chauvet... anyway he would be a great person to talk to about the low priced moving light options and the pros and cons of Chinese products vs American brands that are made in China (possibly the same factory). He'll also give you a good price quote.

I'm just getting my feet wet with Irradiant (the direct Neo-Neon US distributor.)

The fixtures we have received so far have performed as advertised and have a quality feel to the construction. It is my understanding that Neo-Neon is an OEM for many of the offerings from US based distributors. Time spent on Neo-Neon's site bears this out as many of ADJ's, Chauvet's, MBT's, etc, fixtures, cases and controllers can be found.

Funny story about NWLFX... I was driving home from my regular nightclub gig one night and was flagged down on the street to give a jump start to somebody. When I went to try to find my jumper cables in the trunk, he noticed the lighting paraphenalia in my trunk and asked me about lighting....
I ended up not being able to find my cables and couldn't give him a jump, but the guy whose car I almost jumped was the one-man shop known as NorthWest Lighting FX...
From what I gathered from him, he designs and has manufactured, their LED PAR Cans and Par upgrade kits, but the rest of the stuff, he buys from china...
His Luxeon LED Pars acutally got pretty good reviews compared to other low-end LED stuff (Chauvet and AMDJ)... still not a CB12 or PixelBlock, but good for a $200 fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back