Not the way I think you're supposed to set up ground support.

porkchop

I am both scared, and in a way very impressed. Just happy I'm not seeing it come back down.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

o_O

Very similar to how I just saw it done yesterday, though they used forklifts in stead of people ;)

I'll bite. What would be the safer way to do this? I've done this with platforms, but we would add counterbracing to the legs first. And we're talking no more than 7-8' high on a 4x8 platform, not 15+ feet of truss.

That does seem to put a lot of stress on those corner blocks.

OMG
I'll bite. What would be the safer way to do this? .

Well, Last time I set up a rig like this we set the towers on real truss bases, then sent guys up in Scissor liftsat the two end towers. We rigged a chain hoist to a beam above then flew the top truss up to the guys in the lifts.
Conversly you could assemble one long side. Stand it up. Assemble and stand the other side then go up and put the short ends on.

This is the last one of those rigs we rigged.

Attachments

• WP_20140215_009.jpg
    WP_20140215_009.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 250
Our set up at LDI this year involves a truss structure. The top will be built first. Then with one person on each leg, it will be lifted onto the first section of legs and secured. Then that will be lifted onto the other section of legs. I'm sure it makes a difference that it is small triangular truss and not 12" box. It is surprisingly light.

A) that must be some lightweight Global or similar DJ truss
2) @Van yes a chain hoist(s) would be good, but if I can rig motors, I probably would not be building a ground support structure to begin with.
d) When I do something like this usually I build the top rectangle/circle/pentagram, whatever, raise it up on crankup lifts then stand up each leg and bolt on from a ladder or personnel lift.

EDIT: VAN Is that triangle truss on the bottom of the legs and box truss on top? How does that go together?

Never mind, it looks like some additional tubing or object in front of the box truss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back