NRD8000 issues

Hello all,

This is my first post here, and it's nice to see that there's a dedicated group around for sound, lighting, and other theater work.

My situation:

I recently purchased a Leviton/NSI NRD8000 8-channel dimmer pack for use in the activity center at my university. The old dimmer (same thing, but made when NSI was owned by Nova, long time ago I guess) was blowing fuses and channels left and right. I swapped the 240V harness over from the old to the new unit and expected everything to work fine. I plugged it in and went to self-test...but only half the unit powers up and lights. I've put in for an RMA already, but have any of you had a similar issue with your dimmers?

Thanks,

_Nick C

These units have the option to convert from single to three phase.

If you open it up, inside you will see three bus bars that typically are connected to the hot leads from your main power, connected to these typically are a lead to the dimmer circuits and also a connection to a fuse and transformer for the light to show that that section is connected.

Take a look at how the power leads are connected and what is connected to each bus.

Sharyn

I agree with Sharyn, If only half the unit is powering up then you've got a phase swapped or no hooked up at all.

Check the fuses on the board as well.
Or you may have a transformer problem.

You can check the resistance of the transformer to verify this.

On the top of the transformer you will find 3 terminals.

From center to either outside it should be 5 ohms.
From outside to outside it should be 10 ohms.

On the bottom you will find 2 terminals.

You should see 69 ohms between these terminals.

Regards,

Leviton Tech Support

We've actually got a lot of people from many of the lead manufacturers...they only come out of the woodwork once in a while when their employer lets them sneak off from behind a console to use a real computer though.

You'd be amazed at the level of experience of some of the people that are on this board ;-)

Sharyn

And Bedazzled at the amount BS others of us can spout ! :mrgreen:

< that's self depricating humor BTW>

Self deprecating or not, it's pretty much true, I'd think.

(And of course, Sharyn, your knowledge of projectors in paticular never ceases to amaze me)

It's all great fun, many of us have sort of special areas, when you put it all together it's pretty wild

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back