NSI DDS 6000 dimmers on w/o signal

RichG

Anybody got any NSI/Leviton Dimmers out there?

I've got a hand full of NSI DDS 6000 dimmers that work pretty well. They have been converted to DMX. However without DMX signal each channel goes to full. So if I power up the pack with fixtures plugged in but no DMX yet, they come on. As soon as DMX is present they do whatever DMX it telling them to do... It's a pain when I shut down the controller before unplugging the packs...

Question, is this normal for these packs? Is there an option to turn off this "feature"? I thought maybe the internal dip switch might have an option for this but not from what I can tell from the manual... Any ideas?

-Rich

I'm having a similar problem with a few of my packs, although it doesn't have to do with dip switch 8. I figured it would be better to post here than to start a new thread. I have just opened up some new-in-box (but sitting for a long time) DDS6000 packs, and 2 of the 4 of them will not completely dim a load on 2 of the 4 channels (won't go to what should be 0%). It doesn't matter if they are receiving a known good DMX signal or not. It almost seems like a preheat function, although the manual doesn't make any mention of one, and there certainly int an easy way to disable it if that's not the case. I'm guessing the units are just defective, but if this is a common problem with an easy fix, please let me know.

Last edited:
I found a copy of the manual with a schematic. DDS 6000 manual After looking that over, I would replace C3, 10 uF on the power board that isn't working correctly. ( Each power board does two channels. ) For a few dollars in parts, it's worth a try. If that fixes it, replace the cap on the other board, because it may fail soon. Electrolytic capacitors can die from age and heat without actually being used.

I found a copy of the manual with a schematic. DDS 6000 manual After looking that over, I would replace C3, 10 uF on the power board that isn't working correctly. ( Each power board does two channels. ) For a few dollars in parts, it's worth a try. If that fixes it, replace the cap on the other board, because it may fail soon. Electrolytic capacitors can die from age and heat without actually being used.
Thanks! I just so happen to have some appropriate replacements on hand, ill give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back