NSI DDS 9800 Microplex to DMX conversion

I'm trying to convert three racks. I ordered three conversion kits online. The instructions the seller sent were crap.

Do any of you have in-depth instructions? I can't seem to get the first one I converted to work. Feel like maybe I'm missing a step.

Thanks,
Fluffy Pony

How about a photo of the conversion kit and the instruction sheet? These kits seem to be male and female 5-pin XLRs "Y" connected to a 5-pin keyed plug and also an IC. Not sure what can go wrong.

I'm trying to convert three racks. I ordered three conversion kits online. The instructions the seller sent were crap.

Do any of you have in-depth instructions? I can't seem to get the first one I converted to work. Feel like maybe I'm missing a step.

Thanks,
Fluffy Pony
What lighting console are you using with the dimmer racks?

I recently implemented a Leviton/NSI IF 501 Protocol Converter to convert DMX from a lighting console to Multplex to send to some NSI dimmers. Pretty easy and basic setup. DMX in/Microplex out. Once the signal is converted, it is sent out of the box to the first pack, then daisy chained via 3 pin to the next pack, etc. No need to convert the signal multiple times for each pack unless that is better for your situation depending on Your particular system, location of the packs and cabling options. Works great! Curious to know more about the ‘conversion kits’ you have. Cheers...

I'm not the OP but I will try to answer your question....
The dimmer conversion kit is usually just a Y-cable with male and female 5-pin XLR's (because that's the DMX standard) that replaces the 3-pin Microplex jacks and the necessary transceiver IC that NSI cleverly left out. DMX goes from the console to the first dimmer than daisy-chains to the others. Generally a bit more cost effective than the IF 501 plus I believe Microplex tops out at 128 channels instead of 512 per universe for DMX.

Attachments

•  dmx Kit.jpg
    dmx Kit.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 134

Users who are viewing this thread

Back