Control/Dimming NSI DDS dimmer to DMX

intoit100

I have several NSI DDS dimmers that I would like to convert to DMX. I know that there is a kit to convert them, but I do not want the 5 pin XLRs. I just want to know if anyone knows the part number of the chip that is included in the kit, so that I can convert the dimmers to DMX and use the 3 pin XLRs for the DMX signal.

The reason I am trying to do this cheap is that the system is used only once a year for my christmas display and in storage rest of the year. My control board is DMX and I already have a DMX to MPX convertor, but I am running out of room in the MPX range. So it is time to try to get all dimmers converted to DMX so I do not have to purchase more DMX to MPX converters.

Thanks for any help.

the chip is a 75176. It will have a notch or a dot on it to show where pin 1 is. You need to make sure you put in in correctly. There will be a different set of pins on the board for DMX you will use these and connect 1 2 3 etc. It is possible to run these units with DMX and MPX just using different XLR connectors. The MPX connection on the dimmer pack outputs voltage to run the NSI MPX controller. IF you were to plug this into an unprotected DMX device you will damage the other DMX device.. SO usually what I have done is leave the 3 pin xlr connected for MPX and add a 5 pin xlr for DMX.

BUT is you are sure you are going to convert ALL of them over and NOT want MPX then you could move the connector for the 3 pin MPX over to the DMX connection assuuming the cable is long enough (On DDS6000 It does)

You could always buy on conversion kit (about 60 dollars from someone like Northern Light) and then follow that with your own parts on the rest

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back