NSI DMX cards

meatpopsicle

Hi all,

I did a quick search for DMX control Cards for NSI shoe box dimmers but didn't find them. Anybody have a link?

I thought they made a dmx card that would install in the NSI dimmers that are running multiplex. I think they are the DDS4600 and DDS 6000.

I know they did make a DMX unit install-able into their multiplex dimmers. With some if I remember correctly the DMX is sort of "ready to go", however I don't really recall. It has been a LONG time since I've looked into this.

The real trouble is that NSI was bought by Leviton and Colortran. Did you look on Leviton's website? Or calling someone there?

Then again someone else may actually remember correctly or have newer experience.

It looks like the kit is just the connectors and an IC. You and probably just make them you self pretty easily. As for the IC, google SN75176BP. Thats the part you need and they are relatively cheep. Mouser, Allied, Digikey, & Newark all carry them. If you are not on a time crunch you can request a few "samples" of the chips from TI.

Does any one have the IC Chip number for the DMV Send chip in the Lighting board? A friend had one go bad across town. I want to have the part in hand before I drive 2 hours over there.

So I have gone ahead with this after sourcing the ampex connector and getting the chips from digi key. Sadly it's not working. The dimmer outputs do not respond. If the last address dip switch is on then all 4 outputs go on.

Anybody have a contact at Leviton or Coloradan?

It is my understanding that all NSI DDS series dimmers could be controlled with DMX. I don't think they made a DDS 4600 but there is a DDS 5600.

If you are making your own XLR to headers then be sure you have wired it correctly. If you look at the instructions that were kindly provided by lightman02 above you will notice that the DMX headers are labeled J2 and J3. If you consider pin #1 on those headers to be closest to the 75176 chip then the wiring goes like this:
Header pin #1 - XLR pin #2
Header pin #2 - XLR pin #3
Header pin #3 - XLR pin #1

I have also in the past reused the header connector that originally was for microplex.

The behavior of dipswitch #8 is a feature. When it is set to on then all outputs will go to full if the control signal is lost.

Thanks for the Pinout. I don't see on that drawing where it's provided. Once we used that we have Dmx response. Do the dip switches act as pack #s or something for addressing? I thought they were binary but now I see they are not

Thanks again

Is it just me, or does throwing all circuits full on input loss sounds like a great way to make things go all melty?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back