Control/Dimming NSI MC 7016

neergmas

We are running a college tv studio on an MC 7016, and are having odd ghosting-ish issues with the board.

chans 1 and 2 are lit up almost to 10% or so when both faders are down in both scenes and touching/wiggling the fader (not bringing up and down) will also vary the level of illumination. the blackout and GM faders will take this out entirely, and i thought i had a breakthrough after cleaning/lubing each fader, but when we went to shoot yesterday, the ghosting came back... i was able to quick fix it during the shoot by unplugging and clean/lubing again, but don't think that's the best solution...

these two faders also dont seem to be fading smoothly but when you hit about 20% on the fader, it's lighting them up full.

that is the glaring issue, but its companion problem is a few other channels will intermittently ghost (but don't do the wiggle thing) and across the top, the led's flicker like candlelight even when all faders are at 0.

this might be a lot of info, or not enough, I'm already looking forward to any insight or things to try etc. thank you in advance!

Are you running dmx from The board to LEDS Directly or through a converter?

not running dmx at all, actually, its the levitron/nsi dimmers too, so its on xlr... no converters

not running dmx at all, actually, its the levitron/nsi dimmers too, so its on xlr... no converters

DMX uses XLR3 or XLR5. DMX is just the protocol. So if you aren't using any converters, you would probably be running NSI Microplex to the dimmers. Are the cables 3 pin or 5 pin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I figured that microplex was used to connect to the dimmers. But to my knowledge there are not any microplex LED fixtures, but I may stand to be corrected????

An commonly when running through a microplex to dmx converter to run LEDs they will flicker because of issues with the converter.

Also it sounds like the issues with your board are based in the board not the dimmers. I most likely think that the faders in question might need to be replaced.

I figured that microplex was used to connect to the dimmers. But to my knowledge there are not any microplex LED fixtures, but I may stand to be corrected????

An commonly when running through a microplex to dmx converter to run LEDs they will flicker because of issues with the converter.

Also it sounds like the issues with your board are based in the board not the dimmers. I most likely think that the faders in question might need to be replaced.

DMX uses XLR3 or XLR5. DMX is just the protocol. So if you aren't using any converters, you would probably be running NSI Microplex to the dimmers. Are the cables 3 pin or 5 pin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many NSI boards, including the MC7016 can be purchased with/upgraded to DMX output, as can their dimmers. So the assumption that just because the board and the dimmers are both NSI they must be MPX is inherently flawed.

As to the OP, I have also seen the channel status LED flicker problem on a NCM6200 that was at a church I used to volunteer for. I agree with Tex and emac, this seems to be a board issue. The LED flicker might be a typical failure mode of some part the NSI uses that is common to several of their board designs.

thank you everyone for your help. i feel a lot more confident that it is indeed the board, but unfortunately, looks like we will be making do until we can afford repair or replacement...

yes, it is the LED indicators on the board itself, but in a related issue, we now have an LED fixture and don't yet have a power supply for it, and i also have to figure out how, if at all, we can set this light up... i have a feeling i'll soon be using the optional dmx on the dimmers and looking for a power supply for my board to run the already installed dmx "upgrade" port

yes, it is the LED indicators on the board itself, but in a related issue, we now have an LED fixture and don't yet have a power supply for it, and i also have to figure out how, if at all, we can set this light up... i have a feeling i'll soon be using the optional dmx on the dimmers and looking for a power supply for my board to run the already installed dmx "upgrade" port

I recently Bought a Nsi MC 7008, and I cant for the life of me find where I can purchase an upgrade kit. People have pointed to Leviton but I cant find it there either, any one know Where I can get one?

Thanks,

Good Morning

I do The upgrade often & I have a kit in stock. If you call your local sales rep / service center they can get you the info you need.
I'm at home this weekend, but I can get you the NSI part # when I get to work Tuesday.
Do you power your board from the Microplex link or do you use a power supply?
The DMX convertion will need a PS.

__/)_

I also have these (you can call me at 607 797-2950). It's very easy to convert... just open the bottom of the unit, snap in the little pieces, and ... that's about it! The board will then run DMX and Microplex simultaneously.

Scott

your location lists you in Long Island and I have a 7008 as well. can you quote me on a price for DMX upgrade? I just texted the number.

Last edited:
I recently Bought a Nsi MC 7008, and I cant for the life of me find where I can purchase an upgrade kit. People have pointed to Leviton but I cant find it there either, any one know Where I can get one?

Thanks,

So, having the other poster not reply, I went and found the Kit at B&H for 86.00 with taxes and shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back