number of dimmers and channel capacity of high schools

how many dimmers do you have in your high school?

• Total voters
****, i knew ours was limited but...
we have 24 channels on 4 strand dimmers from the 80's. one of them is 7200W and the other 3 are 4800W. the houselights are controlled by an analogue dimming unoit hidden in the corner. only a few times have i ever needed to hire in extra dimming support and that was still only one extra six channel dimmer at the most, our thatre is tiny and most of our gear is hundreds of years old, but now we are getting a new theatre. the new one will have 196 channels on new strand digital dimmers and the houselights will also be digital, I CANT WAIT!!!! :p

the current lighting board is a strand 300, but the new one is likely to be a strand 500, depending on what the tecaher in control of stagecrew thinks of the demo.

Last edited:
that should be nice. I really like the strand dimmers and boards. I would not mind trying out a 500 series but for movers the hog 500's are nice if you only have a few MLs. Let us know what you think of the 500 if you get a chance to try it while its on load to demo

32 dimmers, I forget what make (If electro-controls made dimmers when they still existed, then they're EC dimmers. At any rate, they's at least 26 years old), 31-ish of which work, along with 4 ND's.

Sockets numbered 1-120, which repeat 2-3 times arbitrarily on the electrics (lighting nightmare).

Hard-patch Electro-Controls patch bay, with individual plastic sliders for each socket designation.

Dimmers are controlled by a faulty Strand MX-24, with 1 universe of control capability. ND's are controlled by toggle switches on the desk. (The original-original lighting board was built into the desk itself).

We also have perims controlled by buttons built into the actual desk. They're technically on a dimmer, but they "decide" how and when they want to dim. (There are three sliders, and "on" "off" and "dim" buttons. The "dim" button has a mind of its own.) We also have mercury vapors, which are turned on by turning a key in a lock (why not?) built into the wall.

Also have work lights, regular incand's over the stage. Control those via a circuit breaker (but of course)

Auditorium seats 1200.

All in all, it's ew.

koncept said:
Let us know what you think of the 500 if you get a chance to try it while its on load to demo

yeah, im guna check tomoro nite [im working on "cigarettes and chocolate", which is on tomoro nite and wednesday nite] with him to see if i will be allowed to have a play when the demo arrives, im sure i will cos hes really good.

on an unrelated topic, if i wanted to do this professionally, which i do, would i be better having a degree in electronics, electrical engineering or computer science or does it not matter?

ok that sounds cool [CS is comp science yeah?]
is the theatre related degree respected in the industry though? or is it worth just going for CS or elec. engineering with minors in tech theatre

I have two Strand CD-80SV's both with 96 dimmer capabities. The first rack is almost loaded with dual-light 2.4 KW dimmers (it's missing two). The houselight rack could also HOLD 96 dimmers, but it only has 6 5.something KW dimmers in it.

The main rack is controlled by a Strand 300 series 24/96 console, and the houselights are controlled by various architectural controls scattered around the auditorium; at least until I can get a female to male DMX adapter and plug them into my main console.

3 Racks of 20A dimmers:
Rack one has 48 Lighting demensions 2.4Kw Dimmers
Rack Two: 12D20 ETC Sensor Modules (2.4Kw/dimmer:24dimmers)
Rack Three: 6D20 ETC Sensor Modules (2.4Kw/dimmer:12dimmers)
Control is an ETC Express 24/48
12 Dimmers for Cieling Spots,
12 For Fresnels (first Electric)
12x3(12/Borderlight bar)
12 Dimmers for all house lights
1 Dimmer for all wall/floor pockets (what kind of idiot wired the floor pockets)
several spares and several dead dimmer modules in the Lighting dimensions rack

300?!?!?!? how the hell!!!
why did u steal all my dimmers? dimmer theif! :p

man some people are so lucky

It's amazing that high schools can pour that much money in to theater. My school has 32 dimmers and a hardpatch. And 30-year-old asbestos-tailed fixtures. It just doesn't make sense that a high school would have that much lighting equipment.

I am with you on this one soundlight. i am wondering if people are posting information about their colleges instead of high school and if they are confusing circuits with dimmers because that is alot of equipment and money being put into the high school theatres other wise

My thoughts exactly. We have 102 circuits, but they are only tied in to 32 dimmers. I also thought the college thing too. I know that even my college that i'm going to only has four intels, but it has 384 dimmers. Controlled by an obsession 750, obsession ML, and obsession Remote Console. I can't wait!

I do not know what my next college has, but my previous has a hog 500 for the 10 scrollers we have and the 12 intels (4 tbeams, 6 studio colors, 2 studio spots) and an etc express 250 controlling about 135 (there are several dead ones) dimmers on 270 something circuits

*hopes the next one has more*

Ok so back in Highschool i had a theatre that had 24 dimmers and a Jands Esp II but it also has a coupple 400 amp disconnects that i installed. Therefore for Productions we would bring in consoles and more dimmers and movers and distros. So it was all really temporary. But very expandable.

I am a huge beliver in renting and never buying thats why i went with that model in the construction of the theatre. As fore my college theatres i have no clue mostly cause i dont care.

JH

I'm long long out of high school, but do work frequently in the local middle school auditorium which seats 500.

We have 196 ENR dimmers controlled via a 24/48 Status board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back