Number of lights over Microplex

One other observation from photos is most all LED fixtures are pointed straight down, as if maybe used for sheet music illumination in concert situation. In that case they wouldn't need to be dimmed.

I stopped by there today so some more info:

The LEDs are not on dimmers, they are connected to wall power. They were connected to XLR inputs on the other side of the stage running to the booth (4 XLR inputs on each side of stage) so the booth must have been using a second board besides the NSI console to run them which coincides with a memory of seeing an Obey40 during our initial tour.

I pulled out the inputs from the wall and these were the wires (photos attached). I think they say C.B.I. P222R E51596 (UL) 22 AWG TYPE CL3P ON GMP. Not all wires were marked so I’m guessing they are all the same.

3855B15D-68A1-470D-BC49-262DB7DE3591.jpeg

4E615CAA-F15C-458C-BFA6-149B264E9A52.jpeg

Last edited:
This looks like a good discovery in that you don't need new wire to test everything. What happened to the Obey40? Stashed away somewhere or gone? I suppose you can use a 5 to 3 pin XLR adapter to control the fixtures from a different DMX source. The wire used doesn't look that great but it is what it is at this point. The control cables between fixtures may or may not be DMX rated.

This looks like a good discovery in that you don't need new wire to test everything. What happened to the Obey40? Stashed away somewhere or gone? I suppose you can use a 5 to 3 pin XLR adapter to control the fixtures from a different DMX source. The wire used doesn't look that great but it is what it is at this point. The control cables between fixtures may or may not be DMX rated.

The Obey 40 is gone I suspect. The tech was pretty much student run I gathered and it might have belonged to the student who graduated. We have an Express 48/96 so I can and run and test things with that.

Connectors between fixtures are a mix of DMX and XLR so I basically have to take everything apart and redo it correctly.

Is this wire capable of carrying DMX sufficiently or is it just XLR cable? When I tried to Google things it comes up with "Security, signaling, sound, remote control" general stuff.

There's a bit of a confused mix of terminology going on here. XLR is the type of connector, and both balanced audio lines and DMX lines use XLR connectors, whether 3 or 5 pin. The cable type will either be DMX rated or often it's audio cable. A lot of the time audio cable will work for DMX, but it's the wrong impedance, really, and can lead to hard to diagnose problems. Also, make sure you have a terminator on the end of your DMX run, and don't be tempted to wye off connections.

Looks like it is just audio cable as others have said. Hopefully they have not been taped together along the run to the booth so you can use one as a pull string to pull a true DMX cable(s).
To muddy the waters, standard Cat5 or Cat5e unshielded (UTP) network cable is an approved DMX cable if installed in conduit. Stranded type better for soldered connections to your XLR plates.
Much cheaper than "regular" DMX cable!

My plan for now is to run DMX outside of the walls to the back of the auditorium/tech booth. It’s only 150 ft. The school will have to decide if they want to pull new lines. That’s an upgrade up to them.

I have a feeling I know the answer, but I guess I should ask for “due diligence”… what’s the opinion on wireless DMX?

I used wireless DMX once where running a cable would have raised a big problem. It worked well but I don't think I would trust it for a permanent installation.

My plan for now is to run DMX outside of the walls to the back of the auditorium/tech booth. It’s only 150 ft. The school will have to decide if they want to pull new lines. That’s an upgrade up to them.

I have a feeling I know the answer, but I guess I should ask for “due diligence”… what’s the opinion on wireless DMX?
Don't even think about it for a permanent installation.

Wireless DMX is great when it works and maddening when it doesn't. If you're going to use it, use a reputable make such as Theatre Wireless RC4 or City Theatrical Showbaby or multiverse. Don't be tempted to use a no name solution found on the bay - that way lies anguish.

Ha, I thought now, just had to check.

If you want to see the "joy" I'm going to have with this, here is a pic of me with one of the light bars tonight.

View attachment 23246
A bucket of tie line... my world for a bucket of tie line.

The comment about vinyl and hot lights still applies...

It’s a mess. I’m going to have to strip all the wiring off the pipes and start from scratch to give it some sort of order.
Yeah, the orange and yellow cable is likely not up to code for use in a place of public assembly, YMMV.

Off topic for lighting control. And...I am sorry to be a voice of doom and gloom.
Is that a single wire rope clip on the pick-up line?
I am very worried about the rigging and would recommend an inspection by a qualified person as soon as possible.
If there is only one wire rope clip installed per pick-up line, I would NOT use the pipe at all because there is no way that I know of that would qualify as safe.
John

So if the mics wirelessly received at the sound board but then audio would have to go through the lines to the stage to then go to the speakers at the front of the auditorium would that be a problem? In that first pic are the speaker lines under the XLR cords. I have yet to see how the sound gets from the board in the back to those speakers but I assume its through the XLR lines into some other connection unless it's the tiny white wires in the second pic.
hang on ... you can send line level (+/- 1.5v rms) back on an XLR return, but NEVER send speaker level - the output from your power amp -- that way. Where are your amplifiers? Or are the speakers self-ampified?

Great that you included some nice photos! Looks like you have a nice little auditorium. I believe Microplex will do up to 128 channels if I remember correctly. A couple of issues...
It would be 99% certain that the control cable in the wall is mic cable. You should be able to look at the printing on the cable jacket and get a manufacturer and type number to Google.
If the cable is in a wall you might be able to use the existing cable as a pull string to pull proper DMX cable thru. I would not try to use a mic cable for DMX in an installed system.
It will work until is doesn't at the very worst time.

The NSI IF501 comes in different flavors. Make sure you order the N0501 (first picture) flavor... DMX to Microplex.
Lastly, you will have to find a source of non-dimmed AC for your LED fixtures. NOT a dimmer set to full. Like using a standard wall outlet to supply power. It would be wise to unplug the AC feed
to the LED fixtures when not in use, as it will protect the LED fixtures' power supplies from lightning strikes or other AC disruptions which they do not like.
Remember that you will have to daisy-chain all of your LED fixtures with DMX cable from the DMX THRU out of the converter.

View attachment 23234
I suggest a good dusting out with compressed air. Power EVERYTHING off - at the breaker panel. Then label where all connections went. Double check that the power is truly off. Then carefully open each NSI dimmer pack, and vacuum or brush out as much dust as you can. Use compressed air to push the remaining stuff - but not into adjoining dimmers. Be careful not to bang around percussively - some components may be brittle from age and heat.

Why? Dust makes a blanket; blankets keep things warm; heat is the enemy of dimmer components.

PS - maybe let us know where you are in the big old US. Its possible one of us lives near enough to come give you a careful look-see and a hand with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back