Numbering packs

Try printed labels or spike tape followed by packing tape on top of it. There’s also a spot on the rear of the pack where there’s room for a label. I like doing the ones on the back so they’re not seen if the pack is shown

Well, we have a Ptouch labeler, but it only does 12mm tape. For mic packs I'd want it *much* larger than that.

I have a 2430PC printer that does 1", but it's mine, and things change, and I'm overhire.

But I'm also not sure how well the labels would stick to the powercoat finish; it's very lumpy, at the microscale.

As for packing tape, I'm not sure that doesn't make changeouts harder, though clearly, it should help the comes-off.

Last edited:
I use P-touch labels. Being in a high school where swapping packs is pretty common and we have A and B casts. I use numbers on the belt packs and make a spread sheet matching names to numbers. The actors quickly learn "I'm number 4". I think numbers also make it easier to organize and count the packs at the end of the night and figure out who we need to hunt down and get their pack back.

I too go with spike or gaff sealed with packing tape. But thats for ease and convenience. I've done p touch labels too, common denominator is always packing tape. IF it starts to peel (though I rarely have that happen even with the sweatiest of kids) thats your sacrificial tape and warning to re seal the label.

I’m a fan of P-Touch 1/2” Gold on Black for numbers in the top left front of the pack. It’s subtle from a distance. I’m usually doing corporates and the ceo doesn’t need to know which pack number he is but it makes it super easy for me to identify quickly. If I have time I also put more info on the back like gain settings, name of presenter, mic type, headset boom side, etc. I always loose my lists so it was my solution.

P-Touch editor is your friend. I also have the 2430 older computer version and it’s great. I have saved templates of numbers and can pump those out just as fast as handwriting on small pieces of electrical tape. And if you haven’t learned how to use the database option with Editor then now is the time. Can make fancy labels for 20 packs in no time.

Ryan

I've had pretty good suscess with clear Brady Labels and White text. The thermal ink does eventually wear off (especially on the handhelds) but most beltpacks are still really legible 18-24 months later. We have 3-4 programs per week but we don't always use every pack for every program.

P-Touch comes in flexible and high strength versions. I used to use standard tape to label cables but it doesn't stick to the cable all that well and won't even stick adhesive to adhesive, at least not for me. I switched to the flexible which is intended for wire marking and it's worked as advertised. It sticks to the cable and to itself.

Michael

No packing tape, but into a small zip lock bag that just fits the transmitter/receiver, then into a cloth pouch. Pouches are permanently labeled with a number, and I tape out sections on a folding table so each mic has its own spot, and I can quickly see who's is missing.

Though I just saw you are using ULX-D. I'm a G3 guy. Sorry.

P-Touch comes in flexible and high strength versions. I used to use standard tape to label cables but it doesn't stick to the cable all that well and won't even stick adhesive to adhesive, at least not for me. I switched to the flexible which is intended for wire marking and it's worked as advertised. It sticks to the cable and to itself.

Michael
I either missed or forgot that. I'll look. Does it come in 1"?

One other note, I have a full collection from Wireless Mic Belts. They make these awesome fitted belt packs for your mics. The material is padded and moisture resistant I'm very confident in the amount of protection they provide and have had no mics damaged since I bought them three years ago. They now have these little disks that attach to the pack with velcro. The disks have a space to write on them for easy labeling. The disks also have a flap that allows you to coil and secure your mic cable. And they are less than $1 per disk making it affordable to swap out your labels. It's not cheap to buy into the system but I'm a VERY happy customer. I have 16 wireless mics and I've spent about $500 on my kit now. I've got 17 Beltpacks, and a large collection of belt sizes (I have enough to do a cast of 16 tiny 4th and 5th graders through 16 adults who need to lose a few pounds in sizes 20"-52"). I also have several shoulder harnesses. They are also great for attaching a wireless pack onto a guitar strap!

Attachments

• DISC-BTW storage_600x600-pad.jpg
    DISC-BTW storage_600x600-pad.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 141
  • SN-G3-T back trans cable disc.jpg
    SN-G3-T back trans cable disc.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
+1 on the WMB solution mentioned by gafftaper. I use that whole system including the RF RAC and boy is it great. What I will often do as well when I am using Wireless Mic Belts is as a secondary measure to quickly track packs and belts I will put a piece of white gaff around the belt or shoulder harness and mark the actor's name in black sharpie. It helps track the belts as well from beginning to end of the production so you don't lose any.

If you are looking to label the transmitter pack itself, a thought would be a thin strip of gaff that goes all the way around the transmitter so the gaff contacts itself. I usually wipe the pack surface with rubbing alcohol before applying a label to make sure there is no oil. Alternatively you may want to look at Brady labels or Ideal. They may have pre-made label packs that have a gooier glue. Along those lines, something with really sticky glue might be a thought... chances are very good it will end up a mess.

Other alternate methods - if you continue to find the transmitters are resistant to labeling and you are amenable to a permanent marking, a paint sharpie in silver or white color could work but that seems like a fairly permanent step. And even more along those lines would be an electric engraving tool with some paint to fill in the engrave.

Another thought - if the pack is really impossible to label I'd try to see if I could put a paper label around the base of the antenna with some clear heat shrink to seal the label in....

Last edited:
I have neoprene mic belts like this. A letter of the alphabet is written in 1.5" sharpie on each belt. Mic packs have numbers, belts have letters. FWIW, I haven't been doing this for long.

belt.jpg
belt.jpg

Another +1 for Wireless Mic Belts, link above.

That said I have a Ptouch lable on my Sennhesier packs. The ULX's i've used in the past I've never had a problem doing gaff or even "board tape" on them. Though when I use Gaff to label them it's usually a temporary lable for a show anyways, and I'm still dropping the transmitter ins some sort of mic pouch for wearing by an actor. Is your Gaff weird? Some brands do work and feel differnt. I'm a SureTape or ProGaFF fan myself. Not a fan of the of the Rosco brand. Also make sure the tape is on whatever side of the transmitter is not against actor skin if that's not something you've considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back