NYC College show in need of sourcing crates

rsklar

Hello! I am currently trying to source a ton of crates for a show for my university. Our scenic team has been to MFTA and around midtown looking for crates. If anyone has any suggestions on where we could find any, that would be SUCH a big help. Thank you!

The only folks I know who use milk crates are kayak fisherman. Maybe call a few kayak rental shops and ask for advice.

I'm going to go weigh out on a limb here and suggest...a dairy?

All the milk crates in my basement have all sorts of markings on them on how they are the property of the dairy, possession is against the law, etc..,.etc.... A dairy "might" loan some, but as they deal with high theft rates, I dunno.

@OP, go ask at a CVS or Wahlgreens pharmacy. They use these fold up plastic milk crate like shipping containers, that typically get loaded empty onto the delivery truck to go back to the warehouse. Maybe they will loan you some.

Have yout prop folks make friends with your local supermarket's department managers. (Right now, in particular the dairy guy.) Borrow what you need & give the store program credit and a few comps.

B.T.W., this is pretty much standard property acquisition procedure. Make lotsa friends around town.

Hey I had grabbed some pretty colorful crates (The cube ones, a bit smaller than regular) from outside 7-11 and they tapped me later showing the video and said they're billed for the missing ones so I brought them back. Yes often the dairy delivery doesn't remove every crate but they do keep track of the quantity. I have a bunch been in the garage forever but all from Dairy's no longer in business. (They're often sold off at bulk auctions or lots of 20-50 when the places close up.)
Don't stores like home goods, BJ's Costco, Walmart sell consumer versions? Lots of college kids use them in dorm rooms and they're meant to be interlocked to create storage/ shelving systems.

Make lotsa friends around town.
Very good advice. Our property folks have made such good friends with many of the house clearance shops that we are able to sometimes "rent" stuff from them, in that we buy it and they agree to buy it back after the show for a lower amount. Helps to stop our furniture department ever growing.

I know it’s not free, but $35 for 6 crates is not a bad deal at all. They’ll let you mix and match colors. I’ve bought from this company several times as I have a fondness for the rectangle crates but those are hard to find.

Nice thing is milk crates are incredibly useful as a storage solution after the show. Plus you won’t have to keep track of everyone who gave you crates, how many they gave you, or take the time to make all those returns. These days, for me, time is more valuable.

I think I’ve bought milk crates from the Depot too, but they just have black.

I walked into a milk crate manufacturing office once and asked to buy a handful for personal use. Found them via a google. They just had some industrial space in a big warehouse complex, wasn't a huge operation. They had what I could only estimate to be thousands of crates of all sizes and colors stacked around.

I forget what I paid for the around 7 I purchased, but I did it in college and I don't have horrible memories of it breaking my bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back